AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is kind of urgent, for me that is, as drywall goes up next tuesday. we had some duct work moved / minimized and now air flow is very limited at the rigister in my kids room. like none coming out.

first i need some HVAC 101 teaching. in my picture is the cold air return on the left? if so then the large duct leading from it should only have cold air returns connected to it? this side and duct is cold to the touch.

the right side would seem to be the actual furnance that distributes the hot air? this side and duct leading from it is warm to the touch.

we now have a register that is producing no hot air. here is my thought, the HVAC guy hooked up the heating duct to the cold air return. but i am not sure what is the cold air return and what should be running off it?

i need some help. thanks.

later.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It looks like an updraft furnace meaning the hot air comes out the top and it looks like the cold air return on the left. The filter will be the dead giveaway, it will be or should be on the intake side.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the filter is between the two at the bottom where the cold air is returned.

so my hvac uneducated mind is thinking a cold air return should only have cold air return runs connected to it?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have a winner. its me. after thinking this and that, standing in the basement staring at insulated ducts and R25 in my ceiling, and arguing with the wife, i thought;

"hey, if the lines got switched up then the cold air return in the kids room will be blowing out hot air."

it is. the HVAC guy reconnected the lines wrong. so much for drywall on tuesday.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 /forum/post/12863568

we have a winner. its me. after thinking this and that, standing in the basement staring at insulated ducts and R25 in my ceiling, and arguing with the wife, i thought;

"hey, if the lines got switched up then the cold air return in the kids room will be blowing out hot air."

it is. the HVAC guy reconnected the lines wrong. so much for drywall on tuesday.

Bummer. I was going to suggest checking the returns for hot air or looking for a closed damper.

Hopefully you can get the HVAC out to correct the issue quickly and without issue....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks /forum/post/12863704

Bummer. I was going to suggest checking the returns for hot air or looking for a closed damper.

Hopefully you can get the HVAC out to correct the issue quickly and without issue....

just thinking, but what if i flip the register on the cold air return around so it is blowing the air down and we just leave it as is? in other words, what are the issues with having a cold air return on the floor and heat up high.

obviously, i want this drywalling to get underway
. i will flip the register tomorrow and see how the room temp feels, but assume there is a reason for the way its is suppose to be.

much thanks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^ yeah you are likely right. not sure about the codes, but there are cold air returns all over my house with some high on the wall and some low.

plus the location of the two ducts are in a soffit. the ducts are wrapped and the soffit is packed with R25. i am not looking forward to redoing that.

later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Heat rises. If you flip them, you'll be blowing heat to the ceiling and it will be cold in the room.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would get a different HVAC guy......that's not a common mistake.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcave /forum/post/12870186

Heat rises. If you flip them, you'll be blowing heat to the ceiling and it will be cold in the room.

a cold air return vent pulls are in, so the register pulls from the ceiling. flipping it means the hot air that shouldnt be coming out of it is now being blown down towards the room and not the ceiling.

by the way, the room is now warmer than ever

anyway, he is coming back monday to correct his blunder.

much thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts