AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC has been a wonderful addition to my home theater... until today.

I get a call while at work from my wife asking why there's no sound on the movies. I figured she had muted it or something, but it turns out it's a much bigger issue...

Out of nowhere, my computer does not play any audio from my movies. It plays MP3s fine, and all default sounds still happen. I'm presuming this is caused by a codec issue--but I've looked through it and all looks in line. I'm using MediaPortal, with audio over HDMI (to TV, and analog out to receiver)

This problem sustains regardless what movie player I use (mediaportal, MC7, etc) I also discovered if I turn ON the internal speaker to my TV, I don't receive sound there either. Help would be so greatly appreciated! I'm new to HTPCs and PCs in general.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What audio card and driver are you using? What codecs? Does it only happen for DTS and AC3 audio? That's what it sounds like. Once I updated my drivers and bitstreaming AC3 and DTS stopped working. Luckily, AC3filter automatically converts to LPCM and outputs. However, I don't think ffdshow does this, so something may have happnened depending on what you're using for audio codecs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only hangup is that it happens no matter what media player I'm using... so I'm not sure if the codecs are as much at fault? Ahh! I'm so frustrated. I hope it fixes itself one day just like it broke itself today. :\\

·
Registered
708 Posts
Are you playing just DVD's? Any movies including online streaming websites, such as netflix/hulu? Blu-ray's as well? Are you using vista or xp? Can you download and install XP codec pack (or vista codec pack)? Do you have PowerDVD 7/8/9? Can you get a trial of one of them to test their own codec's? What receiver are you using? It could be a case of bitstream vs lpcm output.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Audio works when I put in a DVD and play it in Media Center. I'm running Windows 7. I have Netflix, but haven't tried streaming a video since the problem occurred.

Mediaportal currently has ffdshow doing the audio... But the problem occurs with Media Center also... playing my video_ts files. Can I change LPCM to Bitstream and vise versa for the entire system?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. Receiver shouldn't make a difference, as the same problem occurs using TV speakers. (Passing audio thru to receiver via analog)

I just DLed PowerDVD, and audio is working when I play the file in PowerDVD. But when changing the audio codec in Mediaportal to PowerDVD, I still have no sound...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do you have multiple sound devices on your PC? Onboard audio and a discrete soundcard?

If so Media Portal could be playing back on the other output. You shold be able to adjust this from audio devices in control panel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My videocard is passing audio via HDMI... on my mediaportal defaults, I have DirectSound device selected.

I'll try re-registering codecs... I just wonder why I'm having problems regardless what codec is selected in Mediaportal. And why PowerDVD then works on its own, but not in agreement with MP.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just FYI, videos are somehow working magically in Windows Media Player 7 now. Maybe it's not magic, maybe I'm just an idiot. But I've tried reinstalling the codecs (new package out on 8/20 from ffdshow) and still no luck.

I might scrap MediaPortal altogether if I don't get a fix soon. Interface is cool, but not worth the headache. I know it's not full-fledged yet either. I might also just try a uninstall/reinstall and see if that fixes it. Will update.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's clearly a configuration issue within mediaportal / codec problem. You can try their boards and see if you can get more application specific help with them. The reason I asked about the receiver was to find out if it can decode bitstreamed audio over HDMI; but at this point - it's irrelevant. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried every codec I had with MediaPortal and no luck. Uninstalled/Reinstalled MediaPortal...

And now it works!

Thanks all for the help. Hopefully this is a quick resource for someone else who has the problem in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts