AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been successfully using an M-Audio AP 2496 sound card for several months.

Last night, without any change of configuration, I suddenly stopped getting any sound. After a little research, I found that DTS sources seem to be working fine, but DD 5.1 and 2.0 produces nothing. My receiver's indicator panel shows that only left and right channels are detected when I send a DD 5.1 signal to it.

To verify that this is not a receiver problem, I determined that I can successfully play both DTS and DD from my dedicated DVD player. When I use the HTPC, I can only play DTS.

One symptom is that all audio channel options on the Audio properties tab of WinDVD are disabled (greyed-out). Enable S/PDIF output is selected, which is the setting I was using prior to this problem, but all channel options are disabled.

I am using the deltawdmver51219.exe driver. In the M-Audio control panel, it says that my driver version is 5.12.1.10 and my panel version is 1.01.10. In the Patchbay/Router, I have H/W Out 1/2 set to WavOut 1/2 and H/W Out S/DIF set to WavOut S/PDIF. I am running Windows 2000 sp2. The windows control panel Sounds and Multimedia properties Audio tab has the Sound Playback preferred device set to Delta AP.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try to solve this problem? Thank you.

Randy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one has jumped in with an easy answer, let me ask a more specific question. Does anyone know what causes WinDVD to disable all of the audio channel options?

I currently cannot select 2-channel, 4-channel, 6-channel or S/PDIF output. All options are disabled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still hoping someone will pick up this thread (actually, more of a monologue so far). I am getting nowhere trying to resolve this. Here is the latest in the diagnosis saga.

The "correct" setting on the M-Audio control panel Patchbay/router tab for H/W Out S/PDIF is "WavOut S/PDIF". When I use that setting, I get the symptoms described above (DTS-works, DD-no sound). I tried setting it to "Monitor Mixer" for no particular reason. This caused the left and right channels to be audible in DD, but nothing for the center or surround channels. All audio channel options are still disabled in WinDVD. This setting also caused the Windows .wav events to play through my receiver (via the S/PDIF cable).

This is another symptom, but I am afraid I am no closer to resolution.

Does this give anyone any new ideas?

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not tried reverting to an older version of the driver, but I am skeptical about its prospects. The driver I am using has been working for me for months. I tried re-installing the driver that has been working just in case it had been corrupted, but no symptoms changed after the re-install.

Randy

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Randy:

___Instead of posting every single option in the M-Audio Control panel, why not just head on over to Digital Connections M-Audio setup notes for a bit of trouble shooting. You can use the search function in the forums as well if you have the time? I have posted the setups for a number of driver revisions under a number of OS’s over the past year w/ the DiO and AP2496 cards myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Actually, Randy is using Win2K and WinDVD, neither configuration is referenced in the Cliffnotes section of the M-Audio set-up. I wish I could help, but I'm unfamiliar with the configuration above.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wayne,

I have taken both actions you suggested.

Kei is correct that the Digital Connection site does not cover my configuration. I have done searches on this forum, but have been unable to find a comparable situation. The trick is always finding the magic combination of key words when doing a search. If you know of previous posts that might help me diagnose this problem, I would really appreciate your help in finding them.

Thank you.

Randy

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Randy:

___Sorry, I missed the Windows 2000 SP2 reference. I removed Windows 2000 maybe 2-3 months ago but still have the Windows 2000 drivers labeled WDM5.exe, WDM16.exe, deltawdmver51219.exe, and wdm512120.exe in the Windows 2000 M-Audio driver directory. I have had all of these installed at one point in time under Windows 2000 SP2 beta and final and they all worked for DD/DTS as well as PCM but you did have to manually swap to Professional for DD/DTS capability and back again for CD-Audio/MP3 playback.

___Thanks for the catch Kei!

As another edit: I looked over the DC setup and you can use the same except for auto switching unavailability for DD/DTS back to PCM under 2000. Use the Professional – non-Audio vs. Consumer and you should be in good shape. Having looked through all of my posts of the past almost 2 years, I have listed the exact setup including every tab 21 times now and I hope you can understand why I wanted you to use the search function in the first place.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solution:

I had been working on the assumption that this was a sound card configuration problem. Based on a suggestion from Kei, I tried un-installing, re-installing and re-registering WinDVD. After the installation, all of the audio channel options were re-enabled, which allowed me to enable S/PDIF output. I am now back in business for both DTS and DD audio!

Thank you for everyone's help. It has been said many times before, but this forum is great.

Wayne - I understand your frustration. I do always search for existing solutions before posting here. In many cases, I find great treads on the problem I am trying to solve. In this case, I just was not finding anything that matched the symptoms I was seeing. I know you have contributed more than your share of solutions to the community, and I understand that you don't want to continually re-visit previously solved topics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.