AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony STR-DE898. My receiver suddenly lost power and all bass. Will still play the highs and otherwise works. Does anybody know what might be wrong? I found a item on the web that suggest I might be able to do it myself. Where would I even get parts from and is it even worth fixing. I am fairly tech savvy on both hardware and software ends, but have really never gone into depth on a stereo Thanks if anybody can help with info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are high powered Klipsch speakers and in excellent condition. They work fine. The receiver doesn't have full volume on the highs. 0% bass and I gotta turn it up to at least 70 volume to hear them. I got horns, they are loud. The speakers are rated at 300 watts rms and don't know the peak, but they do work fine when hooked up elsewhere. The receiver is far from blowing them and Klipsch don't just quit on ya either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And just an FYI guys, but please no offense intended. I do know a bit about this stuff and am fairly electrical savvy as well as mechanical. I know it's the receiver, but I am not as familiar with the inside setup. I have done basic repair and electrical soldering. I have seen this issue before and don't exactly remember the way my boss at the shop explained it to me. Something about the outputs and I had to replace the parts which he told me that are fairly expensive although a simple part (Then grumbled about how corrupt corporate America was forcing you to buy new stuff instead of parts) LOL

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Peterson  /t/1468729/sudden-power-and-bass-loss#post_23219971

They are high powered Klipsch speakers and in excellent condition. They work fine. The receiver doesn't have full volume on the highs. 0% bass and I gotta turn it up to at least 70 volume to hear them. I got horns, they are loud. The speakers are rated at 300 watts rms and don't know the peak, but they do work fine when hooked up elsewhere. The receiver is far from blowing them and Klipsch don't just quit on ya either.

Was hard to tell from your original description. No idea otherwise....call your old boss?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468729/sudden-power-and-bass-loss#post_23221008

As this is an older, non-HDMI model, you may want to consider purchasing a more current HDMI networking unit with an auto EQ as well as the capabilty to be controlled by a smart phone.

I would prefer an HDMI Hookup.the rest is really more than I want or need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts