AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting the 2 red rings error frequently. Supposedly it means the system is overheating, but I really don't believe it. It's well-ventilated and not sitting on top of anything that generates heat.

It only seems to happen when I crank my Sony amp up to reference levels. And it really only seems to happen when I'm playing a game from a disc, not the HDD.

Could this be a power issue? Is my amp stealing too much power from the 360? Could the 2 red rings also mean power failure??

Also, how could I resolve this? I've tried plugging the amp directly into the other outlet, instead of the power strip that my 360 and TV are on...but I don't know if that's actually a different circuit. How do I know if I am using a different circuit?? Do I have to find an extension to reach across the room?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm sure someone can help me. Right???

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Well, an easy way to tell if it's a different circuit is to throw the circuit breaker and see if it turns off (if the amp stays on but the power strip turns off, they're on a different circuits).

Of course if you don't have access to the breaker box (like you rent an apartment) that could be a problem.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have to send mine in because of the 2 red lights. I don't understand it. It can't be overheating because it is on top of a hardwood desk in the open. It'll flash the lights after a couple of minutes being turned on. The 360 is not even warm when it does so.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
could be a fan problem .. regardless red lights - not good...

hopefully you are warranted!

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull /forum/post/15435691

I have to send mine in because of the 2 red lights. I don't understand it. It can't be overheating because it is on top of a hardwood desk in the open. It'll flash the lights after a couple of minutes being turned on. The 360 is not even warm when it does so.

definitely not overheating... are you able to pull a code with 2 lights or does it have to be 3?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But why would it not fail when playing a game from the HDD?

I have realized that it's not from overheating or from insufficient power.

I can play midnight club, with only the TV speakers, and it will 2 red-ring me after less than 10 min.

But it's ONLY from a game disc!!! AARFGHGHHHH, this sucks!!

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
dvd drive toast?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 360 Elite came up with the 2 red lights 3 days after I downloaded the last major upgrade with the avatars. I don't think it's a coincidence.

This is my 2nd 360 console that has had to be sent in the last 2 years.

I own both the 360 and PS3, I used to be more on the 360 side...but since this happened I have purchased the last 4 games I bought on the PS3.

I'm looking forward to getting my unit back though because I want to play Gears 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.