Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A friend of mine is installing a home theater setup and needs an AV amp. His budget is $300 for the receiver which needs to drive 5 pinnacle BD 500's with a powered sub. Most amps in this price range seem to be in the 50 watts per category and I was worried that is would not be enough for his room. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

P

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
That is a pretty small room and it should not take a lot of power to knock you out of your chair. In fact square rooms are acoustically bad because they tend to have the most problems with standing waves, acoustic peaks and nulls. I recommend some kind of sound absorption behind the main speakers and behind the main sitting positions. Not total wall covering but just something to reduce direct reflections. The sub will require very careful placement to avoid boominess. That can involved a lot of trial and error, but one way to do a short cut is set the sub in the main sitting position, play low frequency sounds, and walk around the room to find a place where the bass sounds best and most natural - that is where you should put the sub. Odds are it will be a sidewall or maybe directly behind the main sitting position.

Dsmith

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dsmith. Well, that's funny, my friend I am doing this for happens to be a doctor and his last name is Smith...well funny to me anyway! Thanks for the info. I was aware of the square room issues and am not looking foward to tuning this room. The fron wall will most likely be all screen and speakers but I plan on experimenting with carpet tiles or other like thing for the back wall. Anyway, I decided on the Denon 1604 which can be had for under $300.

P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.