AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now wiring for the HT and can't decide how to handle safety. Is a whole house surge suppressor enough or do most people plug the pj directly into a surge suppressor.? What are recommendations of what to look for in a good unit or what companies make the best products? How about the services from the electric company for whole house protection? Thanks

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I put a Zerosurge panel mount supressor on the outside of my equipment closet, and ran 12 gauge Romex to outlets both inside it and at the projector location because if possible you want everything on the same circuit to avoid ground loops. With that in mind,

1) Whole house/surge supression breakers use sacraficial components. If the surge supressor takes a hit and goes out, you won't know it unless you're checking the LEDs in your panel.

2) Hospital grade outlets with surge supressors have an audible alarm when they go out so you know about it - although they still use MOVs, and surges are shunted to ground which some components use as a signal ground.

3) A female outlet in the equipment closet plugged into a good surge protector would be .... cheesy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.