AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some recommendations from the experts of AVSforum about a possible upgrade of my system. Currently, my setup is composed of:

AV receiver - Onkyo 595 (no preouts)

DVD Player - Pioneer 757Ai (DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD/CD), connected to the AV through 5.1 output to get DVD-Audio and SACD sound. DTS and DD decoding using this player seems the same as using the Onkyo decoding.

Speakers: Front - Tannoy Profile 632 (monitors), Center+Rears - Energy Take 5, Subwoofer: Mirage FRX-S8 (100 watts).

Cables: straightwire+wireworld+QED

I also have a 2-channel amplifier (Denon PMA-480R) that is not being used.

I find the quality of sound not very good, at least for audio only. For HT, the system seems reasonable.

I would like to significantly increase the quality of sound (more detail, tighter bass, more tridimensionality) but I dont know what would be the best upgrade path? Here are some options, so please comment on that:

1- Add a reasonably priced AV processor (Rotel RSp-1066, Cyrus AV8, Outlaw 950) and use the Onkyo as amplifier.

2- Change center and rear speakers to Tannoy (tannoy mercury mx?).

3- Change all speakers (suggestions?) except the subwoofer.

4- New and better AV receiver (Denon 3803?) with preouts in order to also use the now unused 2-channel Denon amplifier?

Which solution (if any) do you think would give the best improvement?

I would appreciate it very much your input. Thanks.

Rui

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
If you want more detail, try Klipsch speakers. They are very high efficiency and sensitivity speakers.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rui
I need some recommendations from the experts of AVSforum about a possible upgrade of my system. Currently, my setup is composed of:

AV receiver - Onkyo 595 (no preouts)

DVD Player - Pioneer 757Ai (DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD/CD), connected to the AV through 5.1 output to get DVD-Audio and SACD sound. DTS and DD decoding using this player seems the same as using the Onkyo decoding.

Speakers: Front - Tannoy Profile 632 (monitors), Center+Rears - Energy Take 5, Subwoofer: Mirage FRX-S8 (100 watts).

Cables: straightwire+wireworld+QED

I also have a 2-channel amplifier (Denon PMA-480R) that is not being used.

I find the quality of sound not very good, at least for audio only. For HT, the system seems reasonable.

I would like to significantly increase the quality of sound (more detail, tighter bass, more tridimensionality) but I dont know what would be the best upgrade path? Here are some options, so please comment on that:

1- Add a reasonably priced AV processor (Rotel RSp-1066, Cyrus AV8, Outlaw 950) and use the Onkyo as amplifier.

2- Change center and rear speakers to Tannoy (tannoy mercury mx?).

3- Change all speakers (suggestions?) except the subwoofer.

4- New and better AV receiver (Denon 3803?) with preouts in order to also use the now unused 2-channel Denon amplifier?

Which solution (if any) do you think would give the best improvement?

I would appreciate it very much your input. Thanks.

Rui
What kind of budget do you have for making any purchases?

I would first get all matching speakers (same brand) get, Tannoy for mains, center, rears, center rears(if you intend to run a 6.1 sound system). I haven't heard Tannoy but I did read that they are nice speakers. Whenever you want to improve the sound of your systems, always start with the speakers.

I don't know about the sub, do you feel that the sub is inadequate?

What about your room, how big is it do you need more amplifier power to to play your system at reference level without strain and distortion? have you tried purchasing one of home theater tunning DVD's that show you how just tweak your systems to make to get better sound?

I also like the idea of the Denon 3803, with all the nice features it has will a nice upgrade for you.

I would sell the Onkyo and the unused Denon amp and use that money to purchase the speakers and the new Denon3803.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget is about 1500 USD.

The sub seems adequate since the room is not big (about 16x14x9 feet). The Onkyo has enough amplifier power to drive the speakers to reference level.

Have tried the Video Essencials DVD but didn´t find any improvement!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Try speaker placement.

Makes the biggest difference out there. Pull the front speakers out if you can and keep them away from the walls. play around with sub placement, etc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Try speaker placement.
Spidey07 is right on track. First optimize your speaker placement, Try to toe-in the front speakers. Remove any obstacles which may be in front, beside or behind the speakers. Pull them away from the walls abit. Also reduce first reflections in the room. Adjust your sub placement to a location that smooths out the bass response in the room. By the way what is your room like. Are there a lot of hard surfaces? a lot of soft absorbant surfaces? Purchasing new equipment may not solve your problem if the problem is your room.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for your input. First, I will try speaker placement, notably SW placement.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Rui, the one thing I see missing in your system is power conditioning. My BPT balanced power conditioner made a tremendous improvement in the overall quality of my hometheater system. Just a thought that no one else has brought up that I think should be mentioned. Regards, Robin

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I would spend your 1500usd in this order:

1) matching tannoy center

2) bigger sub (12inch?) -- even consider getting a used/new passive SVS subwoofer from the states and use your spare Denon amp to drive it!

3) better/bigger 6.1 receiver (Denon 2803 or Onkyo 700?), use your current energy center as a rear center to get 6.1.

down the line because I don't think it impacts over sound as much as the first 3 options, and your current funds would not suffice:

4) 3-4 tannoy rear and rear center speakers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.