AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ave,

Ok here's my situation. First of all I'm going to be a first time Home Theater Projector owner; I have no experience of projectors.

I own two HDTV's; a 42" 1080p LCD (Toshiba Regza 42RV530) and a 50" 768p Plasma (Panasonic Viera TH-50PX60U).

We're moving from New York to Seattle, WA to an apartment and we're getting rid of the older Panasonic 768p Plasma TV. We'll keep the Toshiba LCD though. Once in the apartment, we'll need to buy a new HDTV and it is for this replacement that I'm looking at Home Theater Projectors.

Our main usage of the projector will be : Blu-ray Movies, XBOX 360, DVD's & Cable (HD & SD) ... most likely Comcast.

The projector (for now) will be setup in the living room; which means that there will sometimes be viewing during day time ... so there will be some light. Although we both work day time so I would say 70% of our usage will be in the evening/night in fairly dark conditions. But weekends etc will see some daytime viewing ... so I can't go for something which is absolutely blind during daytime/lighted viewing.

My main criteria is 1080p, really good PQ, but of course most importantly a budget of no more then $1,500.

I have a few questions:

I guess the very first thing I'm looking to establish before anything else is that if I should even go with a Home Theater Projector or stick with a Flat-Screen HDTV.
  • Firstly, since we own a 768p Plasma & a 1080p LCD ... there is going to be PQ comparison. Can I actually get the same PQ using the 1080p Projector that I currently get with my HDTV's? If the PQ cannot match the current LCD/Plasma technology, then it's not worth it for me. It has to do 'Same' or 'Better'
  • Secondly, considering I'm installing this in an apartment, in the living room - is it worthwhile to get a Projector - or should I stick to Flat-Screen HDTV's? Do people use such a device in apartments? Or is it strictly for dark media rooms?
  • I don't know if I should be looking at DLP or LCD Projectors. I've read in detail the differences but I still can't figure out which ones better for me.
  • For size, I'm looking at anywhere between 70" ~ 108" viewing area; again - can I achieve good PQ at this size?

I'm looking for recommendations for both Projector and an accompanying Screen for it. So far I've been looking at the Optoma HD20 at Newegg.Com for $999 which really fits my budget. I've also looked at the Viewsonic Pro8100 and Mitsubishi HC3800. But like I said ... I don't know which one is better then the other.

I'd really appreciate if someone can guide me on my questions, educate me a little bit, and help me decide what to go for.

We'll most likely be purchasing in March.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
676 Posts
so I can't go for something which is absolutely blind during daytime/lighted viewing

Pretty much all projectors fall under this category...unless you have very good window treatments daytime viewing doesn't work....

·
Registered
231 Posts
What he said, plus, make sure your apartment has a 8' blank wall to serve as your screen wall. Apartment layouts typically try to squeeze all they can in the limited sqft, so you just might not have a wall that will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/18182221

Ave,

Ok here's my situation. First of all I'm going to be a first time Home Theater Projector owner; I have no experience of projectors.

I own two HDTV's; a 42" 1080p LCD (Toshiba Regza 42RV530) and a 50" 768p Plasma (Panasonic Viera TH-50PX60U).

We're moving from New York to Seattle, WA to an apartment and we're getting rid of the older Panasonic 768p Plasma TV. We'll keep the Toshiba LCD though. Once in the apartment, we'll need to buy a new HDTV and it is for this replacement that I'm looking at Home Theater Projectors.

Our main usage of the projector will be : Blu-ray Movies, XBOX 360, DVD's & Cable (HD & SD) ... most likely Comcast.

The projector (for now) will be setup in the living room; which means that there will sometimes be viewing during day time ... so there will be some light. Although we both work day time so I would say 70% of our usage will be in the evening/night in fairly dark conditions. But weekends etc will see some daytime viewing ... so I can't go for something which is absolutely blind during daytime/lighted viewing.

My main criteria is 1080p, really good PQ, but of course most importantly a budget of no more then $1,500.

I have a few questions:

I guess the very first thing I'm looking to establish before anything else is that if I should even go with a Home Theater Projector or stick with a Flat-Screen HDTV.
  • Firstly, since we own a 768p Plasma & a 1080p LCD ... there is going to be PQ comparison. Can I actually get the same PQ using the 1080p Projector that I currently get with my HDTV's? If the PQ cannot match the current LCD/Plasma technology, then it's not worth it for me. It has to do 'Same' or 'Better'
  • Secondly, considering I'm installing this in an apartment, in the living room - is it worthwhile to get a Projector - or should I stick to Flat-Screen HDTV's? Do people use such a device in apartments? Or is it strictly for dark media rooms?
  • I don't know if I should be looking at DLP or LCD Projectors. I've read in detail the differences but I still can't figure out which ones better for me.
  • For size, I'm looking at anywhere between 70" ~ 108" viewing area; again - can I achieve good PQ at this size?

I'm looking for recommendations for both Projector and an accompanying Screen for it. So far I've been looking at the Optoma HD20 at Newegg.Com for $999 which really fits my budget. I've also looked at the Viewsonic Pro8100 and Mitsubishi HC3800. But like I said ... I don't know which one is better then the other.

I'd really appreciate if someone can guide me on my questions, educate me a little bit, and help me decide what to go for.

We'll most likely be purchasing in March.

Thanks Guys!

Hey Mickey!!

Welcome to Seattle. Its an awesome city with great people
Not as bustling as NY but has a small town charm with a big city look.

As for your PJ need. Not many PJs in your stated price range will be able to offer you the lumen count to be useful during day time. So night time will be your best choice. Also make sure that the apartment has enough distance from the PJ to the wall to accommodate a big screen. Have you thought of a screen size you would like to go for?

For night viewing a lot of PJs can fit your stated budget. As for the screen, you can get a decent deal from Visual Apex on one of their screens. But then again decide on the screen size.

there is a deal on for Viewsonic Pro8100 its a 3lcd pj for 1200 and with a screen for around 300 it will nicely fit your budget.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18186874

Hey Mickey!!

Welcome to Seattle. Its an awesome city with great people
Not as bustling as NY but has a small town charm with a big city look.

As for your PJ need. Not many PJs in your stated price range will be able to offer you the lumen count to be useful during day time. So night time will be your best choice. Also make sure that the apartment has enough distance from the PJ to the wall to accommodate a big screen. Have you thought of a screen size you would like to go for?

For night viewing a lot of PJs can fit your stated budget. As for the screen, you can get a decent deal from Visual Apex on one of their screens. But then again decide on the screen size.

there is a deal on for Viewsonic Pro8100 its a 3lcd pj for 1200 and with a screen for around 300 it will nicely fit your budget.

Hi Nitin!! (And the rest of you guys),

Thanks - we're actually moving 1st week of April; Small town called Issaquah that sits about 15 minutes drive from Downtown Seattle. So excited - Can't wait for the move!!

I never did realize that day time viewing is still pretty much out of the window with PJ's, and that might actually put a damper on my entire PJ plan. Eventually we will be getting a house & I will be setting up a Media Room in a basement kind of scenario -- but for now it's looking like I might just have to go with another TV.

I think the blank wall might also be an issue. I was looking at Screens that gave me 92" Diagonal viewing size; mostly been looking at Newegg.Com

How is the Viewsonic Pro8100 compared to the Optoma HD20?

I think what I need to do now is wait till I'm in the apartment and have all my stuff setup, then I'll gauge if there is any reasonable logic in getting a PJ ... taking all factors into account, like Lighting, Distance & Blank Wall Area. If not, I'll go with a Flat Screen for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/18188415

Hi Nitin!! (And the rest of you guys),

Thanks - we're actually moving 1st week of April; Small town called Issaquah that sits about 15 minutes drive from Downtown Seattle. So excited - Can't wait for the move!!

I never did realize that day time viewing is still pretty much out of the window with PJ's, and that might actually put a damper on my entire PJ plan. Eventually we will be getting a house & I will be setting up a Media Room in a basement kind of scenario -- but for now it's looking like I might just have to go with another TV.

I think the blank wall might also be an issue. I was looking at Screens that gave me 92" Diagonal viewing size; mostly been looking at Newegg.Com

How is the Viewsonic Pro8100 compared to the Optoma HD20?

I think what I need to do now is wait till I'm in the apartment and have all my stuff setup, then I'll gauge if there is any reasonable logic in getting a PJ ... taking all factors into account, like Lighting, Distance & Blank Wall Area. If not, I'll go with a Flat Screen for now.

Thanks!

Hey Mickey!

Issaquah is a great place. Not sure if you are in the plains or in the highlands, but either way, its just surrounded with natural beauty and plenty of stuff for the outdoors
I am on the east side too, up in Sammamish, just a few miles from Issaquah

As for the PJ needs, there are a few which can provide the requisite lumen count for a day time viewing but will cost about 2500 for the PJ and about 1500 for a high gain screen. But let me not deter you. Check out your apartment and then make a decision to bypass the PJ.

Viewsonic Pro8100 is a decent PJ. It had some iris issues long time back but has been fixed with the recent firmware upgrades. Plus it is in a completely different league than the Optoma HD20
You can grab one for a little under 1200 bucks. A greal deal if you ask me

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18188567

Hey Mickey!

Issaquah is a great place. Not sure if you are in the plains or in the highlands, but either way, its just surrounded with natural beauty and plenty of stuff for the outdoors
I am on the east side too, up in Sammamish, just a few miles from Issaquah

As for the PJ needs, there are a few which can provide the requisite lumen count for a day time viewing but will cost about 2500 for the PJ and about 1500 for a high gain screen. But let me not deter you. Check out your apartment and then make a decision to bypass the PJ.

Viewsonic Pro8100 is a decent PJ. It had some iris issues long time back but has been fixed with the recent firmware upgrades. Plus it is in a completely different league than the Optoma HD20
You can grab one for a little under 1200 bucks. A greal deal if you ask me

$1200 for a 1080p 3LCD Projector is an awesome deal - trust me! Very, very tempting!! I guess I need to be sure if it works with my apartment scenario; with the lighting, blank wall area and all.

Is there a screen you can recommend to go with this projector? If I'm looking at around 100" viewing size?

We're renting with Estates at Cougar Mountain; they sit up in the highlands in Issaquah ... actually probably the last piece of property up the highlands in Issaquah. Actually I have my brother-in-law's family that lives up in Sammamish; I've been to that city a few times myself. Beautiful city. The whole area is beautiful; absolutely gorgeous there.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/18188644

$1200 for a 1080p 3LCD Projector is an awesome deal - trust me! Very, very tempting!! I guess I need to be sure if it works with my apartment scenario; with the lighting, blank wall area and all.

Is there a screen you can recommend to go with this projector? If I'm looking at around 100" viewing size?

We're renting with Estates at Cougar Mountain; they sit up in the highlands in Issaquah ... actually probably the last piece of property up the highlands in Issaquah. Actually I have my brother-in-law's family that lives up in Sammamish; I've been to that city a few times myself. Beautiful city. The whole area is beautiful; absolutely gorgeous there.

Yup!!! 1200 + 5% bing cash back and free shipping brings this down to 1140
If I hadn't picked up a Panny AE4000 before, I would have gone for this one

For a 100" screen, I will recommend elite screens. You can buy them for about 400 bucks at Amazon. Plus elite have great customer service and so does Amazon

I like the highlands
The view is awesome from there. And yeah Sammamish is quite beautiful. Plus, we are having an exceptionally beautiful winter this week. Almost feel like summer is here. Dunno if its global warming or something, but am liking it

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18188950

Yup!!! 1200 + 5% bing cash back and free shipping brings this down to 1140
If I hadn't picked up a Panny AE4000 before, I would have gone for this one

For a 100" screen, I will recommend elite screens. You can buy them for about 400 bucks at Amazon. Plus elite have great customer service and so does Amazon

I like the highlands
The view is awesome from there. And yeah Sammamish is quite beautiful. Plus, we are having an exceptionally beautiful winter this week. Almost feel like summer is here. Dunno if its global warming or something, but am liking it

My sister lives in Snoqualmie; and she's been reporting similar high temperatures throughout the winters - unbelievable for us New Yorkers. Would be a big switch for us coming down from sub-zero temperatures & snow accumulations in ft, not inches

I saw quite a few Elite Screens actually and those were the ones I was planning on getting; so that fits the bill perfectly.

One thing I could do is (if the Lighting situation can work out); I can get a smaller screen that can work in my apartment's living room wall for now ... and upgrade to a larger screen once we have a house/basement/media room.

Can't beat that projector price for the specs. I guess my next step is to adjudicate the setup's viability in the apartment & go from there. I'm still in NY but might be visiting Seattle in mid-march ... I'll have to work on this issue then.

Thanks man - you've been really helpful!!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 /forum/post/18189046

My sister lives in Snoqualmie; and she's been reporting similar high temperatures throughout the winters - unbelievable for us New Yorkers. Would be a big switch for us coming down from sub-zero temperatures & snow accumulations in ft, not inches

I saw quite a few Elite Screens actually and those were the ones I was planning on getting; so that fits the bill perfectly.

One thing I could do is (if the Lighting situation can work out); I can get a smaller screen that can work in my apartment's living room wall for now ... and upgrade to a larger screen once we have a house/basement/media room.

Can't beat that projector price for the specs. I guess my next step is to adjudicate the setup's viability in the apartment & go from there. I'm still in NY but might be visiting Seattle in mid-march ... I'll have to work on this issue then.

Thanks man - you've been really helpful!!

Always wanted to visit NY. My cousin lives over there. Maybe next year who knows
You will enjoy the weather here, certainly not as extreme as NY

Snoqualmie is a great place to go skiing
You will have loads of fun if you like the outdoors. Plus Issaquah is a great place to raise a family, with good schools and all

Yup! I have an elite screen too. I love it so far. I have posted a few screen shots of my yet unfinished room here

You can always upgrade to a bigger screen later but go for a 100" so that even if you move into a house, it still will be quite a decent size

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Sanyo PLV-1080HD (same as PLV-Z700) which serves as my all purpose TV in my living room. Light is definitely the enemy with projectors, but I have no trouble using my projector during the day....you just have to control the light! It doesn't need to be pitch black, but you do not want any direct sunlight to be able to hit the screen. I have blackout shades over my windows and dark window tint along with Roman shades on my glass door. The only light that comes into the room is what makes it through the glass door (even with the above steps some subdued light comes in as it receives direct sunlight for most of the day) and what spills in from other rooms in the house. The key is to not allow in direct light. For a screen I built my own (98"). I run my PJ on low-lamp mode at all times with no troubles. The biggest thing you give up during the daytime is dark colors as they get washed out; watching Batman during the day may not be so great, but watching a football game will be no problem. Bottom line: I could not imagine having a dinky 5x" or whatever flat panel after having the projector. Also, don't forget the cost of a mount and cables in determining your budget.

My cost:

Projector: $1150 (Amazon)

Screen: $125

Mount: $80
Cables: $50

Total: $1,405

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyone is likely to have different suggestions, this one is mine.

I can't vouch for any projector I don't own, and seeing as I only have one you can take that for what it is. I own a Mitsubishi HC3800, shop around for pricing, you can find a great deal. At the moment the hc3800 has the -best- value in terms of upkeep costs that I could find in a similar price range. The lamp life is around 5,000 hours in low lamp mode plus you get a free lamp. This projector is -excellent- in my opinion. I greatly argued with myself about LCD or DLP, I almost never see rainbow effect. I can try right now, but it's impossible on any sort of view outside of a black screen with a few white objects on it, like a single white word.

I got my HDMI cable at monoprice, I use a 35 foot 22 gauge wire, thicker is better and the lower the number the thicker the wire. 20 would be lower than 22 and so on. It seems to work great. I usually have it plugged straight from my PC to the projector.

Personally, I went with a DIY option for screens. I wouldn't consider getting a screen that rolls up and down as they eventually destroy themselves after enough rolls.

I have a wilsonart designer white sheet of laminate. I paid 80 dollars for a 5x12 sheet which is more than enough for most needs. Some folks go with painting the wall or something like it, others use some form of fabric or spandex. All three of these routes are excellently priced, great value and you can find great performance in a screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts