AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please suggest me speaker system.

I have a home theater room of size 17x12x10. I bought Denon AVR 1910 recently in a sale at Electonics Expo. I need to get 5.1 speaker system, budget is $500 to $750. Mostly I will see movies in blue ray or regular DVD. Watch cable sometimes.

I am thinking Energy Classic 5.1, trying to get even though discontinued because of its best reviews. Energry Micro RC 5.1 will be too small for movie experience? OR do you suggest any better systems?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nankish /forum/post/18132104

I have a home theater room of size 17x12x10. I bought Denon AVR 1910 recently in a sale at Electonics Expo. I need to get 5.1 speaker system, budget is $500 to $750. Mostly I will see movies in blue ray or regular DVD. Watch cable sometimes.

I am thinking Energy Classic 5.1, trying to get even though discontinued because of its best reviews. Energry Micro RC 5.1 will be too small for movie experience? OR do you suggest any better systems?

Thanks for your time.

Howdy, I helped a coworker who didn't know a how lot about HT purchase some audio equipment... he was going to buy the 3-2-1 Bose system LOL!. This is what I had him get

Denon 989 or 988 can't remember exactly. I think its a few models up from yours.

Take 5 Energy's from Newegg for $150 which is a slick deal. I think they went up in price Speaks

SVS 10 inch sub for like $250 I think from Amazon. Price is lower now Subway

His room was small like yours and it has plenty of power and sounds great. Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 /forum/post/18132526

Sorry the sub is actually the BIC V1020. Amazon has it for $170 which seems like a crazy deal.

thanks again, but few questions please, ( I wish I was your co-worker)

1. Why do you suggest this combination? I mean Energy Take 5 is worth buying spekers?

2. What kind of subwoofer should I match to this? Any one, or should I look for any specific capicity or something?

3. Did you suggest BIC Sub for a reason other than its price? For example is it a better option to go with this Polk Audio PSW505 (top selling in Amazon) if i pay $100 more?

4. Which is better Energy RC Mirco or Energy Take 5 with a matching sub woofer?

5. Or speaker systems like Polk RM95 + some Polk subwoofer is better?

Sorry to many questions, but couldn't help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nankish /forum/post/18132104

Thanks for your time.

nankish my suggestion would be to use the budget you have now for just front and right speakers and then continue to save and get the rest of your 5.1. I would get fronts,sub,center,surrounds in that order.

The biggest thing that will improve your SQ is your speakers. You will be alot better off in the long run upgrading this way. It takes a little patience but you end up with a system that is many times better than trying to buy it all at once on that budget.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/18133907

nankish my suggestion would be to use the budget you have now for just front and right speakers and then continue to save and get the rest of your 5.1. I would get fronts,sub,center,surrounds in that order.

The biggest thing that will improve your SQ is your speakers. You will be alot better off in the long run upgrading this way. It takes a little patience but you end up with a system that is many times better than trying to buy it all at once on that budget.

OP,

this is good advice. You are wasting your money buying low end stuff and than upgrading it again. Why waste money when you can build it right the first time around.

You should build 3.0 or a 2.1 first and than slowly add when you have money. PSB and Monitor Audio are on sale at Saturday Audio. PSB on sale at Audioadvisor.

Subwoofer plays a huge difference in HT. I own subwoofer in the $150, $500, and $1K range. Let me tell you, $150 subwoofer is alright for the money but completely wasted money compare to the other 2 subwoofers. Save your money and get a Elemental Design subwoofer.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18134589

OP,

this is good advice. You are wasting your money buying low end stuff and than upgrading it again. Why waste money when you can build it right the first time around.

You should build 3.0 or a 2.1 first and than slowly add when you have money. PSB and Monitor Audio are on sale at Saturday Audio. PSB on sale at Audioadvisor.

Subwoofer plays a huge difference in HT. I own subwoofer in the $150, $500, and $1K range. Let me tell you, $150 subwoofer is alright for the money but completely wasted money compare to the other 2 subwoofers. Save your money and get a Elemental Design subwoofer.

This is all good advice as I see it mentioned in the speaker threads over and over and over again. And while I do agree with the concept, not everyone wants to sink thousands of dollars into their audio system most likely do to the perception of diminishing returns. 5.0 and 5.1 speaker systems from reputable companies were made for these people. Buy a decent AVR and sub and you have a pretty good sounding system for under 1k. So to the OP, if you plan on sinking 10k into the audio side of your HT then go the seperates upgrade route

OP, like I said in my reply I had the wrong sub listed. The BIC 10 incher is on sale right now for an awesome price and will blow away most subs that are part of a 5.1 speaker package. It looks like Cornhulio answered most of you questions but you can't go wrong with the Take 5's and a BIC sub. Pair that with your Denon AVR and your good to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

Sorry the sub is actually the BIC V1020. Amazon has it for $170 which seems like a crazy deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 /forum/post/18135536

This is all good advice as I see it mentioned in the speaker threads over and over and over again. And while I do agree with the concept, not everyone wants to sink thousands of dollars into their audio system most likely do to the perception of diminishing returns. 5.0 and 5.1 speaker systems from reputable companies were made for these people. Buy a decent AVR and sub and you have a pretty good sounding system for under 1k. So to the OP, if you plan on sinking 10k into the audio side of your HT then go the seperates upgrade route

OP, like I said in my reply I had the wrong sub listed. The BIC 10 incher is on sale right now for an awesome price and will blow away most subs that are part of a 5.1 speaker package. It looks like Cornhulio answered most of you questions but you can't go wrong with the Take 5's and a BIC sub. Pair that with your Denon AVR and your good to go.

Thanks for all the inputs, i am thinking would go with Energy Classic 5 + BIC 10.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponte55 /forum/post/18135536

jponte55 has a point if your the type of person that wants to just get something that will sound much better than your tv speakers and be happy then yes I think this would apply to them.

If your trying to just getting something good for now and you know you will be upgrading again then I would disagree here.

I also disagree that you need to cough up 10K for a good system.IMO if your a smart shopper you could have an outstanding system for around 4K(for the average joe).

I personally have never heard the Take 5 system and I'm not knocking that system but I am will to bet my next paycheck that that system I suggested above would be a night and day difference in SQ.

The OP stated his top budget is $750,so even if he bought that system for the asking price,it's only $600 more. You could get the RS6 for $799 and save for the rest as you go. Depending on how disciplined you are you could have the whole system in a years time. In that year you would have a system that is many times better than the package one you would buy now IMO.

Only the OP knows what is best for him,this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/18137210

jponte55 has a point if your the type of person that wants to just get something that will sound much better than your tv speakers and be happy then yes I think this would apply to them.

If your trying to just getting something good for now and you know you will be upgrading again then I would disagree here.

I also disagree that you need to cough up 10K for a good system.IMO if your a smart shopper you could have an outstanding system for around 4K(for the average joe).

I personally have never heard the Take 5 system and I'm not knocking that system but I am will to bet my next paycheck that that system I suggested above would be a night and day difference in SQ.

The OP stated his top budget is $750,so even if he bought that system for the asking price,it's only $600 more. You could get the RS6 for $799 and save for the rest as you go. Depending on how disciplined you are you could have the whole system in a years time. In that year you would have a system that is many times better than the package one you would buy now IMO.

Only the OP knows what is best for him,this is only my opinion.

I do agree with you, if I endup not liking the sound by this entry level system, I am at losss of these 4 ro 5 hunder dollars I spent. But I have no other choice as I can't spend couple of thousands at this point and also I am not good at this stuff technically to buy some stuff now and later keep adding matching ones.

Actually this is the other question lingering in my mind regarding, is there a really good complete speaker system out there which I can buy like about 1K and would be in between entry and top notch?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
OP,

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to build a good home theater system. I built my TV system with 4 Infinity P362, PC350 center, and a MFW 15 subwoofer (5.1) for $1100. I'm powering it with a mid $300ish refurbished Marantz receiver. Well worth the money spent.

$1K, you can buy system like SVSound, HSUReseach package, or AV123 ELT package, Bic Acoustech, or build a Polk Monitor system at Newegg. As stated in my previous post...PSB and Monitor Audio are on sale. You can buy atleast the 3 fronts and work from there. Heck, you can even go very cheap on the surrounds by going with another brand. Its not as critical to match your surrounds to your main 3 fronts for home theater. For me, I would personally take the PSB or Monitor Audio and build from there. But if I absolutely do not want to spend over $1K, I would take any of these system I mentioned over those tiny Energy Take at newegg....but that's just my opinion. If there are places to audition, go out and listen. From tiny speakers to towers. Listen and see for yourself what each of them brings to the table.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I think you need to do some more research on this site. Look at similar threads to your post, and then look at the owner threads of the specific speakers suggested in those threads like yours here. I would imagine you could be more than happy no matter what route you take.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Look at the Klipsch Quintet III system at Best Buy. You need to purchase a sub separately but they're readily available. I think my Quintet II system sounds incredible for the money I paid and the Quintet III is slightly better. If you like the sound you can get a much better deal from reputable dealers online than you can at BB. If you shop carefully you should easily be able to pick up the system and a sub within your budget.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nankish /forum/post/18133531

3. Did you suggest BIC Sub for a reason other than its price? For example is it a better option to go with this Polk Audio PSW505 (top selling in Amazon) if i pay $100 more?

The 1220 is only $16 more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

The BIC subs are not high-end but if you do a search they get a lot of very good feedback here. I have no experience with them myself. Another search shows that a lot of people are not impressed with Polk subs - even those who like Polk speakers.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nankish /forum/post/18137595

I do agree with you, if I endup not liking the sound by this entry level system, I am at losss of these 4 ro 5 hunder dollars I spent. But I have no other choice as I can't spend couple of thousands at this point and also I am not good at this stuff technically to buy some stuff now and later keep adding matching ones.

Actually this is the other question lingering in my mind regarding, is there a really good complete speaker system out there which I can buy like about 1K and would be in between entry and top notch?

Well that system I posted has been sold(not surprising).I agree with calnbs and going with Monitor Audio or PSB,those prices are pretty good.

You could good with this: http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...07-29-2009.htm

PSB T55's and C60 for $848 then just save for a decent ID sub. If you have speakers now ,you can use them as rears for now.

I personally would go with Monitor Audio RS6 line since I have heard both of these and IMO the 6's are easily worth the extra $$$. This is strictly a personal preference which is always the case when choosing a speaker.

You could just get the RS6 and the RSLCR for $1248 or you could keep tabs for this set on audiogon and get it for around the 1K you mentioned.

Many people use audiogon to upgrade their system for good prices,I did when I got my Monitor Audio GS20's for a great price.

The PSB I listed above would be a night and day difference over the Take 5 system IMO.

If you have a stand-alone Magnolia store near you,they carry Monitor Audio if you would like to listen to them.

If you can go listen to speakers in your area and find out what you like,that would help you (and possibly help us help you) at finding the speaker you would like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.