AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added another TV to my house and now my Replay is giving the dreaded "no signal" message.

Can anyone suggest a good signal amp? I've tried the ones from Rat Shack in the past with no luck.

Do I take it to another level and get something from Channel Plus? I'm willing to spend what it takes to do it right.

Gene

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I've tried the RS signal amps and didn't have any luck, either. When I added a third Replay and had to split my cable signal four ways, I went to a C-band/DSS satellite component shop and asked some questions. Nobody was surprised (are we?) that the RS equipment didn't do a very good job.

What I ended up getting for about $75 was a Wineguard amplifier that was specifically designed to boost TV cable and/or antenna signals. I put it between the cable input to the house and the 4-way splitter, and now each of the split signals has as good a picture as if they were the only connection.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yup, you need to spend a bit to amplify the RF signal in a manner clean enough for the very sensitive Replay. I use a channelvision 35db power amp (which has a 20db attenuator and a 20db tilt adjustment) because I split a bunch of times in a bunch of places, but if all you need is to amplify at one tv you can use channelvision's cheaper 4-way amplified splitter. Here's a site that has both of these, but you should do a search because you can probably find them cheaper: http://www.hometech.com/video/amp.html#CVT35IA

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
based on what i had read on this board i ordered the 4-way channel vision amplified splitter from worthington distribution, only $87 delivered via 2-day fed ex...by far the best price i could find

it's not on their web site , but if you call them directly you can order it (800-282-8864)

just have the part number ready (CVT-2/4 PIA)

so far working very well splitting a weak/noisy cable signal to two replays & a cable modem

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently have an RCA 4-way splitter/amplifier.

On some channels there are repetitive diagonal lines across the screen. If I plug in coax to the tv the lines don't seem to be there. Seems like the amp is adding some noise to the signal? Would using one of those Channel Masters be that much better?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
If you have any unused outputs in an amp or splitter make sure to install a 75 ohm terminator on them to avoid any such problems.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I have two brand new Channel Plus DA500A amplifiers I could sell you (I'm using one also). They are awesome, and about the same price as the others mentioned, but Channel plus is the best around. Check it out on their website - http://www.channelplus.com/rf_amps.htm They're brand new, never used, etc. Bought more than I needed.

Let me know if you're interested - [email protected]

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use both the Channel Vision and Channel Plus units mentioned above in my system (for different parts of the distribution network). Both work quite well. The tough part is balancing the gain of the system (too much amplification provides just as bad a picture as too little.) If you see herringbones, you likely are overdriving the system with the amplifier and need taps (attenuators) to lower it (I found that buying multiple 3dB attenuators and using them in series one at a time until the picture either stops getting better, or starts getting worse does wonders.) Lacking an RF meter (sometimes if you complain to the cable guys that your picture is lousy and they send the cable guy over to the house with a meter, you can impose on him to check the signal strength at multiple locations in your house -- not that I would ever do such a thing,;) ) They usually cost about $2.5K, so I don't know anyone who owns one.

If I recall, the ReplayTV puts out 15db of signal strength, which is on the strong side of things. Usually you need somewhere between -10db to 15dB of signal strength to receive a good picture (I'm not sure what the Replay's tuner requires on its input to get a good picture; maybe one of the Replayguys can help you out there.)

Basically, it takes a lot of finesse to get a great picture, but a very slight amount of trial and error should get you a reasonably good picture.

HTH,

Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.