AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Samsung non-progressive DVD player has seen it's last stand, so I'm looking to replace the unit. I've read thru the FAQ and other post here and people lots of people seem to be recommending Oppo, but most of these discussions involve a newer display (either plasma, LCD, or RP) than mine. I currently have a Sony 36" Wega CRT display (DV36FS12 - component and S-video inputs). I have been considering a new plasma display, but at this point I'm holding out for the 1080p's to come down in price --> so it might be 9-12 months before I upgrade (if I can hold out that long).

I'm looking for a DVD player that will work with my current TV and not have to be replaced when I get the new TV. It seems as if I need a DVD player than has both HDMI and component outputs. My receiver does not have HDMI switching, would it be that bad if I ran my DVD with component to a plasma -OR- do I need to plan to upgrade my receiver too?

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenlude /forum/post/0

My old Samsung non-progressive DVD player has seen it's last stand, so I'm looking to replace the unit. I've read thru the FAQ and other post here and people lots of people seem to be recommending Oppo, but most of these discussions involve a newer display (either plasma, LCD, or RP) than mine. I currently have a Sony 36" Wega CRT display (DV36FS12 - component and S-video inputs). I have been considering a new plasma display, but at this point I'm holding out for the 1080p's to come down in price --> so it might be 9-12 months before I upgrade (if I can hold out that long).

I'm looking for a DVD player that will work with my current TV and not have to be replaced when I get the new TV. It seems as if I need a DVD player than has both HDMI and component outputs. My receiver does not have HDMI switching, would it be that bad if I ran my DVD with component to a plasma -OR- do I need to plan to upgrade my receiver too?

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The Oppo 970 has both component and HDMI.

It's natural to look into a 1080p player like the 981 if you are planning a 1080p display in the future. The 981 has s-video also, although performance is probably nothing special on that port (which may be true of all DVD players).

You might also look into the new HD players; they also upscale SD-DVD, some better than others.

-Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point the HD-DVD Players are out of my price range, and I can't seem paying the premium for a HD Player at this point when it might be a year before I have a HD Display to use it with. I assume the HD players will be less expensive in a year also, however, I really don't see myself purchasing a HD player for a couple years when the price of the players and DVD's come down in price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm about in the same boat as you with an older rptv without hdmi ports. I wound up with the OPPO 970 and it plays real well through component. Much better than my old Apex and not so old Onkyo players. Hopefully when I get a new tv it will still meet my needs until the format wars are over.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Another vote here for the Toshiba HD-A1 or HD-A2 HD DVD player. Works excellent as an upscaller and will give you 1080p high def content

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I hate to say it, but with that TV, get a low-end DVD player (Oppo is even too much) and don't worry about it until you are ready to replace the TV. Definately don't bother with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray right now.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis /forum/post/0

I hate to say it, but with that TV, get a low-end DVD player (Oppo is even too much) and don't worry about it until you are ready to replace the TV. Definately don't bother with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray right now.

Agreed, but the OP specifically said he wanted a player that he could keep after upgrading his display.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.