AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought a Panasonic TC-50X1 Plasma TV and I love this TV. I think I need a home theater system now. Just like my sweet Panny which didn't burn a hole in my pocket.I need a decent home theater. Right now I have Phillips DVP 5990 DVD player I need advice on a receiver and speakers for reasonable price.

I am not an audiophile, but need something to thrill me watching movies and with good bass. Go easy on me lords, I'm pretty new to these stuff got my first HDTV and want to get some good sound.

EDIT: My budget is $ 200, don't call me cheapskate
, thats all I can afford now with my job and salary, but I am open to buy a decent used set as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This forum is about Home Theater Construction. With a $200 budget you won't have much luck, but you should post this in the Home Theater In a Box thread (HTIB).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Members.

even if $200 wont get me anything, is it possible to suggest some decent entry level system, I can stretch another $100 and try to get something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am fairly new but I was in the market on a short budget as well (little more than you but still). Onkyo is putting out some very quality low end stuff. I know they came out with a couple new HTiB setups a few months ago...Or they were coming out this Christmas time. It might be worth it to hold off for a few months if that is the case or if you can scrounge up some extra cash. I want to say they were somewhere in the 600 dollar range (mine was and I have been very happy with it in a relatively small environment). Without losing a lot of quality though getting under the 500-600 dollar mark in my experience hasn't really been possible. Again thats just in my experience (I am somewhat picky
).

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
IIWY I would concentrate on getting the two best front speakers I could and a receiver capable of driving them. On your budget, nothing will get you great bass, but even relatively inexpensive external speakers will be a big improvement over the ones built into your TV. As your income increases, you can add the other speakers for a 5.1 or 7.1 system, or even upgrade the original speakers and receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts