AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this is my first post, so hello to all of you

I've been reading this place for 3-4 months now and I'm getting close to making a decision and purchasing a HDTV (right now leaning towards ED plasma, hence the post here)

First off, I'll list what I want to be doing with my TV.

#1 Xbox game playing / PC game playing 40%

#2 General PC usage / DVD usage 30%

#3: General TV watching 30%

Now, I've got a pretty kicken PC and I play a lot of games, so I was looking at some $1400 monitors, then I got thinking, with some good EDTV plasma's in the $3000 price range, why not? That puts my budget is about $3500 which should land me in 42" range

That leads me to here

I do a LOT on my PC, so optimally I would like a DVI input, or alternatively, an HDMI input as I have read with an HDMI->DVI adapter you can use your PC without any problems. If this is incorrect someone please correct me.

An on a related aside, can you send HDTV (720p, 1080i whatever) signals from a PC through analog/dvi and the ED plasma will re-convert it to its optimal resolution? This is somewhat important as a ED 800x600 resolution is way too smal to do anything meaningful.

Xbox seems to be a no brainer here, ED tv's with better SD PQ and the ability to do HD signals from those HD games seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

The Panny TH-42PDW6UY seems to come highly reccomended, and fits all my desired specs except for no DVI! However I read there was an adapter card that was about $300 that could be put in but then there would be an analog conversion before going to DVI which seems to negate the point a little. Any enlightenment here?

I saw a few other panny ones old and new but they seemed to break the bank a bit.

One other thing to note is I would really prefer non-mounted speakers as I will be hooking them up to a dedicated HT system (its meager but growing)

So if anyone could share their experiences and maybe provide some reccomendations for me to do more research on I would greatly appreciate it.

· Registered
98 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most if not all ED Plasmas have a resolution of 852x480. 480 horizontal lines matches 480p exactly making an EDTV ideal for SDTV, DVDs, and 480p games. This resolution will be decent for PC gaming, but for general use the screen will be pretty low res. You could consider bumping up to a 42" HD plasma, but those are more expensive and have rectangular pixels which hurt since you ideally want a 1 to 1 pixel mapping for using it as a monitor. The 50" plamas do have square pixels but, again, they are much more expensive.

42" plasmas just don't seem ideal for using as PC monitors... can anyone refute this?

· Registered
1,662 Posts
The Samsung SP-P4251 is a consumer oriented plasma with built-in speakers and stand. Their HPN-4239 turns out to be a full HD 1024x768 plasma (maybe that's why it looked so good) that also comes with a stand.

The Zenith P42W34 also impressed me.

Don't count out the JVC PD-42WV74 as well.

There are lots and lots of great 42" plasmas in your price range. Enjoy shopping.

· Registered
98 Posts
Whoops forgot to recommend.

I've been studying up on plasmas here for a few months now too and I've recently purchased a Panny (panasonic) 42" HD. If you're looking for a good ED plasma I'm betting most people here will recommend the Panny TH-42PA20U or it's commercial counterpart the TH-42PWD6UY. Both use the same screen and have great black levels. This allows it to display dark scenes very well, making it great for a home theatre. If you plan on using it to watch a lot of DVDs/movies this is important.

Btw the TH-42PWD6UY has slots on the back that allow you to plug in cards to add/remove input types. You can basically add the DVI input if you buy the card. Not sure how much that costs. I'm guessing a couple hundred dollars US.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So an ED plasma that can 'downconvert' HD signals wouldn't be able to display the same 'area' that a computer running a 1280x720 (720p signal) but at a reduced resolution? Hmmm, maybe I'll have to save for an HD panny.

· Registered
98 Posts
It can downcovert similar to what it does for an HD signal but it would look very blurry. Text that is supposed to use 8-10 pixels would end up scaling to 4-5 pixels and would be mostly unreadable. This downconverting is very evident on when displaying a PC desktop simply because there's a lot of text and small icons. An HD picture, however, manages to look very nice on an EDTV. I was very suprised to see how good an HD signal can look on a nice EDTV when I saw an HD and ED side by side.

Basically I think an EDTV is good for everything you want, except for general PC usage. Games that don't use a lot of text will probably look decent, but I'm not sure how many support 16:9 aspect ratios. Have you looked at DLPs? They have pretty good resolutions and are cheaper than 50" plasmas. If you're serious about using your PC with the TV you might consider that path.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.