AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking this question here because you guys have all the experience in how the various DVD players do with digital projectors.

I've researched past threads on the DVD Hardware Forum and read the "Secrets" reviews.

Here's the deal: I currently have a Panasonic RV80 feeding interlaced to my NRS via component and audio to my Parasound via coax. The player is a little glitchy (controls, not PQ or sound) and I am thinking about an interim upgrade for two years until I hope to switch over to a new projector and all DVI setup.

Questions:

1. Any of you have experience with the RV80 and have upgraded subsequently in a setup like this where you're not using progressive?

2. Panny XP30, RP82, RP91, XP 50, and Denon 1600 have been mentioned as possibilities. Using the same interlaced operational mode, would any or all of these significantly improve PQ and/or sound over the RV80? Note that my Parasound preamp does the audio decoding, not the RV80.

3. Other suggestions? Don't want to spend too much as obviously will have to upgrade again with the new projector.

4. Would the scaling feature of the RP91 wherein you can scale non anamorphic DVDs up, be usable in interlaced mode? Or are all the scaling features only usable in progressive?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve, great to hear from you!

No on HTPC, just don't want any more complication in my life. Maybe at the time I change projectors but not now. I'm just trying to figure out if I'll get any serious benefit from trading up from the RV 80 but otherwise maintaining the setup as it exists now. It is very simple to operate, a must for my spouse.

Definitely planning to hang out until the Sony comes out. Could be a breakthrough product, could be a flash in the pan. If the latter, I'll probably end up with DLP.

Dan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
No go for DLP for me, I see rainbows. so I am, looking to hopefully to SXRD, if it delivers half of what has been suggested. I think I will be happy which will be about 1 1/2 to 2 years away.

I am looking to do the new Panamorph. No worries with leaking etc.

I have the Denon 1600, which I now use on the 48" RPTV in the Master bedroom. I have been looking into the SDI mode for it, which is suppose to be the better option than DVI. May be worth looking into.

Will you replace the NRS or upgrade it to the DVI model when you get the new projector? What would you get if you replace the NRS?

For ease of use you may just be better sticking with what you have, save your money for the BIG UPGRADE.

Still LOVE your Firehawk? I really need to upgrade the screen but with this constant moving I can always get the same screen size as the room sizes are so different from country to country.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still love my Firehawk! While we were away on vacation, our neighbors came over to use the HT. This is the first time they'd seen it since the Firehawk was installed. The husband asked me if I had gotten something new for the system since, "the picture is so much better".

Never thought this screen would work so well with a light cannon. But it does, the blacks are blacker, the contrasts contrastier and the whole image simply more vivid.

Hoping to eliminate the video processor all together on the upgrade, actually. Now that projectors are coming with Faroudja inside, including DCDI, and good scalers, shouldn't need that extra box.

Dan

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QQQ

No, they're purpler! Gees, don't you know any Englesh? Look it up in your Funk and Wagnals :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.