Right now I have this:

Asus K7M

AMD Slot-A 850 mhz T-bird

512 SDRAM

7200 rpm ATA 66 13 GB HD

Matrox G400 max

2930u scsi card and Pioneer 6x scsi DVD drive

and I will soon add either a PCI flyvideo 2/3000 or MSI [email protected]

I have a 350 watt enermax power supply so swapping in a MB/CPU/RAM/HD combo is all I would need. Maybe a sound card, but I plan to de-interlace DVD from S-video via standalone player and send audio straight to receiver from standalone DVD player.

What is the minimum I need in AMD to run descaler to deinterlace DVD and deinterlace and squeeze/zoom/stretch SVHS/LD/Cable/non-anamorphic DVD?

Although my PC doesn't have hardware de-interlacing, the scsi DVD drive seems to go quite a ways in eliminating any and all problems in DVD playback via software.

thanx for any feedback :)

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow. No suggestions?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
cpc,

your question of what is a "minimum" is hard to answer. This is what I would recommend:

512MB to 1GB of memory (over 512MB, you can turn off the swap file and get some performance benefits).

80+ GB of hard drive space. I usually partition into 2-5GB for the OS, and put all recordings on the second partition (that way, I can regularly backup my OS partition and save it before/after changes with DriveImage). ATA 100 is very fast and SCSI is not needed anymore. I just bought a 200GB hard drive for $150 after rebates, so look for deals right now.

CPU: I am sold on Intel P4's right now and motherboards with Intel chipsets for my HTPCs. Min: 1.6GHz. Better: 2 GHz and higher. I like Asus motherboards with the Q-fan feature (for slowing down fans when not needed).

OS: I was a Win98 advocate but in the last 6 months, I've been totally sold on Win XP. I have SP1 installed and the OS has been very solid for an HTPC.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich4av
cpc,

your question of what is a "minimum" is hard to answer. This is what I would recommend:

512MB to 1GB of memory (over 512MB, you can turn off the swap file and get some performance benefits).

80+ GB of hard drive space. I usually partition into 2-5GB for the OS, and put all recordings on the second partition (that way, I can regularly backup my OS partition and save it before/after changes with DriveImage). ATA 100 is very fast and SCSI is not needed anymore. I just bought a 200GB hard drive for $150 after rebates, so look for deals right now.

CPU: I am sold on Intel P4's right now and motherboards with Intel chipsets for my HTPCs. Min: 1.6GHz. Better: 2 GHz and higher. I like Asus motherboards with the Q-fan feature (for slowing down fans when not needed).

OS: I was a Win98 advocate but in the last 6 months, I've been totally sold on Win XP. I have SP1 installed and the OS has been very solid for an HTPC.

That's my 2 cents.
Wowsers, my Dscaler machine is only a 1.2 Duron, 256 MB Ram, and an 8 gig HD(which is overkill), running XP. It works fine w/o any dropped frames, using all the filters I desire in DScaler. An 8 gig HD is only half full with the OS and HTPC apps. All A/V storage is from a server, which can be loud as it likes in my closet. No real reason for me to run any more Mhz or disk space, unless there's a new filter I find interesting, but my setup could be had for less than $150 I'd bet. Whenever I need more power, I could drop in a faster Athlon XP processor. And 256 MB of RAM seems more than sufficient for DScaler and DVD watching, as I have no problems with jerkiness or dropped frames on either.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Good input. Well, I think my scsi DVD drive goes a long way in taking the load off my 850 mhz Athlon Slot-A. When I end up just using a capture card to input and scale S-video signals, the DVD drive won't be in action. I guess I'll go ahead and try and if I have problems, I'll just start hunting for an upgrade :) DDR is cheap, as are KT400 and nForce boards. thanx for the input folks :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, it depends on the target resolution, source format and no. of filter you want to turn on. I'm using AMD1800+, 512M DDR, KT400 MB. For video (non-film), I feel it's just barely enough to drive dscaler with one or two filters turned on plus TomsMoComp in 1024x768. Anything beyond that will result frame drop immediately. I stay at 800x600 finally.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I may have to upgrade to do what I want then. Won't cost a fortune, but I'll have to plan for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.