AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 40 inch lcd tv (yea yea I know you all want 72 inch but my space is tiny so 40 inch for me) and have been getting dizzy with the number of models these days (last year it was 5 now it is 50).

Some of the tvs I've looked at that interest me: samsung 8000 series; cause it is thin and light; B630 because anti-clear (but to be honest the B650 looks a lot nicer); B750 because it is 240HZ (but I suspect that is marketing and 120HZ is fine and dandy for me). Sony (which model) because everyone raves about them. Toshiba (which model?) because they seem to have good sound. Samsung (UN?whichmodel?) because they say LED won't fade - though at the pace of price drop it might make more sense to buy non-led today and in a couple of years switch to LED.

Usage: some hdtv; some blue ray viewing (blue ray player is internal drive in computer if that matters) and a bit as a computer monitor mostly for gaming.

--

My guess right now is toshiba is the best bet (but I didn't write down the model number; also vaguely I think I remember that thosiba tends to use a crappier panel on the 40inch models but don't remember specific) because it is similar quality to the B750 but bit less glare. The B650 is probably a better buy than the 750. The ultra thin (8000?) really interests me but at the end of the day I'm not going to hang this on the wall but probably set it on a small stand. I'm am a bit concern about glare since the apartment is small and it has two large windows which will result in a lot of light (the windows cover the entire wall; so I can't squeeze the tv into the corner and have it protected from cross-light.

--

Ultimate price is not really a limitation but why throw money down the drain. Still I thinik the image of the 650 in the stores is noticeably better than the 550 or even 630.

--

While I note that the toshiba have really good sound the truth of the matter is I'll probably use headphones most of the time... (hd555)

--

Any comments or specific models I should look at or avoid to narrow the search ?

--

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
In a 40" panel, I would highly recommend the Samsung LN40B750 or the LN40B650. I own two "650's", a 46" A650 (2008 model) and a new 2009 37B650. I love them both and have no problems with the sound quality on either of them. My 46A650 is hooked up to my home theater system, but I don't always use the home theater for regular TV viewing because I feel the normal TV sound is sufficient.

The advantage in the B750 other than 240hz (which may or may not be that much better than 120hz) is the built-in "subwoofer" which, in theory, should provide better sound than the B650. Cnet has reviewed the B750 and has found it to be one of the best 2009 models. As for the B630, it is also a very nice TV with only a few less features than the B650. A comparison on the Samsung website will give you the specific differences.

As for Toshiba, the new 2009 models received very favorable reviews at first, but I think some members of this forum have begun to report problems, making me think Samsung or Sony would be better choices.

If you are considering Sony at all, the XBR9, W5100, and Z5100 would all be good choices for you if they are available in 40" panels.

By the way, headphone jacks on LCDs are rapidly beginning to disappear, so if that's an important consideration for you, I'd suggest verifying the TV you choose has a headphone jack, especially if you don't have a home theater system. If you do, then you could use your receiver's headphone jack.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know off hand if the 32 and 37 inch models are identical to the larger 40/46 models? Price-wise it seems that the sweet spot is 40; but a smaller size might actually work better (i.e, with a 32 I could almost use it like a large monitor).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts