AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced TV and AVR and no longer have component connection on either to hook up my "digital VCR" but it does not have a HDMI output. I do see some new AVR's have component inputs but not that many. I find some inexpensive converters on Amazon and a few have scaling ability but thought the AVR might do that. I see some fancier ones at B&H but not sure what is necessary or desirable. Appreciate any advice.

·
Administrator
20,477 Posts
I typically like Monoprice for this sort of thing but theirs shows as out of stock. I'd probably compare a few Amazon options fact checking the reviews with 3rd party sites like reviewmeta & fakespot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I found an open box Monoprice converter for 40.00 on the bay. There are Portta ones on Amazon --no scaler for 20.00, with scaler for 28. B&H had several but many discontinued. I found this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mi_component_composite_signal_to_hdmi.html/qa

Such is vast range of prices is worrisome. I don't know if the AVR will handle the scaling or not either. This will not be used a ton, but wish it to work well. Some of the Portta ones seem to result in a duller image when compared to using the component leads natively when directly compared in one review.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Again any speculation/opinion/advice form anyone most welcome. I am perplexed by the choices. I would rather not buy on the bay for return issues but am willing to do so if that is the preferred item. I also listen very carefully with anyone with >20K posts. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts