AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a service from a company in Israel that streams live Israeli TV over the net. They provide 5 channels with live content, streaming everything over roughly 500-600 Kbps for the video and 30-40 Kbps for the audio. Here's the info on their service:

http://www.seeisrael.tv/English/index.asp

I don't know which Codecs they use, but the quality of the video and audio is just amazing. Contrary to the SlingPlayer which looks ok maximized at 640x480, so so at 800x600, the SeeIsrael.tv player looks great maximized at 1280x1024!

The SlingMedia folks might want to download the SeeIsrael.tv client and check out what they are doing (they have a "free 5 day" option). Although I suspect they are doing something on the server side as well, but since you can update the firmware on the Slingbox, you might be able to get the same video quality.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ehuna,

Hi. I was curious what your upstream bandwidth from home was. I personally have a laptop with a 1920x1280 display and when I'm at home it looks great, when I'm at work it's at least "watchable", but i only have a 384Kbps upstream connection...

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
ehuna,

Hi. I was curious what your upstream bandwidth from home was. [...]

Best,

Jeremy
I just upgraded my Comcast cable so I'm now getting 799Kbps. That's of course theoretical, most of the time I'm around 400-500Kbps.

I'm not saying the image through the Slingplayer is not watchable - just that with the same bandwidth the image from the client from SeeIsrael.tv is much better. Try it out you'll see. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
ehuna,

If you email me I can give you the new beta firmware which has some notable video improvements. Would be curious to hear how it works for you.

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just checked out the seeisrael video, and it's good, but I'm sure part of that is because the source video is PAL 625 lines.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd say the major reason why SeeIsrael looks better than the Slingbox is that they're using professional MPEG encoders that cost a fortune compared to the Slingbox. I'd EXPECT them to look better... those encoders go for anywhere from 10 to 100x what the Slingbox does.

For what it costs, the Slingbox is a miracle. Still, you can only do so much with $200. Realize that the actual electronics/hardware costs are probably somewhere under half that (retail electonics cost lots of $$$ to design/manufacture and Sling Media IS a startup... R&D has to be paid for, support costs must be paid, etc etc) and you realize that it's amazing the Slingbox works as well as it does.

Of course, improvements will be made and I'd imagine we'll see new and better Slingboxen down the line as technology improves. For now, this is as good as it gets because nothing out there does what the Slingbox does.

That said, you really should try tweaking the encoding settings in the Slingplayer. If you have the bandwidth you can achieve excellent results although the bandwidth requirement 'sweet spot' is about 750Kbps as I've seen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanebear
[...]That said, you really should try tweaking the encoding settings in the Slingplayer. If you have the bandwidth you can achieve excellent results although the bandwidth requirement 'sweet spot' is about 750Kbps as I've seen.
Kanebear, thanks for the good info. I'll leave it to Jeremy and the rest of the Slingmedia team to see what they can do to improve the Slingplayer's image quality until it's as good (or better?) as the SeeIsrael.tv player.

From work most of the time I get about 400-500 Kbps, with peaks of 700-800 Kbps. Could you be a bit more specific and let me know which encoding settings I should tweak?

Under Player > SliongPlayer Options > Encoding > Manually adjust stream parmeters, I see:

Video bitrate (Kbps) (should I bring this up to 450?)

Bandwidth required (Kbps) (I suppose Video bitrate + 30 Kbps for the sound, right?)

Video frames per second

I-Frame interval (seconds)

Video smoothness

Audio bitrate (Kbps)

What worked for you?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
Kanebear, thanks for the good info. I'll leave it to Jeremy and the rest of the Slingmedia team to see what they can do to improve the Slingplayer's image quality until it's as good (or better?) as the SeeIsrael.tv player.

From work most of the time I get about 400-500 Kbps, with peaks of 700-800 Kbps. Could you be a bit more specific and let me know which encoding settings I should tweak?

Under Player > SliongPlayer Options > Encoding > Manually adjust stream parmeters, I see:

Video bitrate (Kbps) (should I bring this up to 450?)

Bandwidth required (Kbps) (I suppose Video bitrate + 30 Kbps for the sound, right?)

Video frames per second

I-Frame interval (seconds)

Video smoothness

Audio bitrate (Kbps)

What worked for you?
I tend to leave the framerate and I-frame interval alone. What I do is dependant on where I am I'll play with the video bitrate until I encounter buffering issues and set it just below that. Try setting the bitrate at 700Kbps and if you don't have problems with stuttering and freezing you'll see much better quality. If you can do that, try for higher rates. IMO the sweet spot is at around 850Kbps. Above that does yield quality improvements but not as great as going from lower rates to above 800.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Linux23,

Yes you can. Click Player > SlingPlayer Options (shortcut is Alt-O), then select the "Encoding" tab. As per the comments above, there are quite a few options for you to 'play around' with.

Best,

Jeremy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.