AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While punching in my favorite channels on my comcast remote, I got to wondering. Is there a universal remote that allows one to set up separate banks of favorite channels? i.e. one bank that would only surf though the bank of user selected channel set up just for "News Channels." A 2nd bank set up just for surfing "Movie Channels." and then a 3rd bank, etc. for "wife's" favorite channels, and then the "kids" favorite channels. It would really be nice to be able to surf just the "News Channels" such as CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC one right after the other when something big happens without have to surf every channel to get to them, or surf just the "Sports Channels" when their are several college footballs/basketballs games going on. Let's face it we've gotten to the point that surfing the cable freeway take some time now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
More specifically......

A Pronto (of which I have one) is a Touch Screen based remote control that is completely configurable to any whim you can dream up.

First, check out www.remotecentral.com for ideas about the pronto and a boatload of other remotes. They also have IR codes galore on the site.

I have a page on my pronto for each of my possible methods of TV watching (i.e., TiVo, VCR, TV alone). On each page of these devices, I have a tab called "favorites". Press that and it takes you to a page on the remote with about 10 buttons. Each button is a category such as Sports, Music, News, etc. When you press one of those buttons, it gives you a page with the actual logos for each channel in that category (due to real estate, you may need to set up subpages). Once you set these types of pages up, you never have to remember channel numbers again.

You can go to www.satlogo.com to download station logos from around the world.

And here is a picture, not from my remote, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about........

http://www.remotecentral.com/files/sc000497.gif
http://www.remotecentral.com/files/sc000774.gif

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
an other thing I have seen people build are channel changing macros. i.e. switches channels every x seconds automatically on the push of a button

(i.e. push button, then it changes to channel X then Y..... and then you can stop it when you want)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigdmaxxer
While punching in my favorite channels on my comcast remote, I got to wondering. Is there a universal remote that allows one to set up separate banks of favorite channels? i.e. one bank that would only surf though the bank of user selected channel set up just for "News Channels." A 2nd bank set up just for surfing "Movie Channels." and then a 3rd bank, etc. for "wife's" favorite channels, and then the "kids" favorite channels. It would really be nice to be able to surf just the "News Channels" such as CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC one right after the other when something big happens without have to surf every channel to get to them, or surf just the "Sports Channels" when their are several college footballs/basketballs games going on. Let's face it we've gotten to the point that surfing the cable freeway take some time now.
Absolutely, the discontinued Radio Shack 15-2104 remote could do this, it even had buttons labelled "Movies", "Music", "Sports" and "News". You could store up to three favorite channels on each button. It also has a FAV/SCAN button that you can use to skip through all the channels, or just your favorite channels, and then a second press stops it at the channel you want to watch.

This remote still pops up on eBay every so often and it doesn't usually sell for that much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.