AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to hook up a HTPC to a receiver?

I have a 5.1 sound system running through my HK receiver. I am thinking of purchasing Auzentech XPlosion 7.1 and running toslink (digital) to the HK receiver. Would you guys suggest a different card/method?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2wrath /forum/post/0

Use analog 5.1 out of your sound card to the receiver. It gives you the most sound options.

Analog is better than digital when connecting HTPC to external receivers?

I have to double check and make sure I can accomplish this with my Harmon Kardon receiver.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Use both analogue and digital.

I find my amp processes dts/dolby soundtracks a lot clearly via spdif than my audigy 2 zs does with analogue...analogue to me seems to have more of a flow..whereas digital is more clear and precise.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/0

Does upgrading opamps require soldering?

Nope!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0

The opamps are in sockets, you just pull them out and put in new ones. There is a thread here that specifically talks about what opamps people are using, along with other modifications (that do require soldering).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=792354

Ozy

Awesome thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
478 Posts
it depends on what you are using your htpc for. if it is mainly for movies/dvd watching i would vote for digital. if you are going to be gaming i would vote for analog.

in short..

analog: easier to configure/set up/just works.

digital: just one cable, sounds (arguably) better with dolby/dts but can be a pain to setup configure correctly

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/0

it depends on what you are using your htpc for. if it is mainly for movies/dvd watching i would vote for digital. if you are going to be gaming i would vote for analog.

in short..

analog: easier to configure/set up/just works.

digital: just one cable, sounds (arguably) better with dolby/dts but can be a pain to setup configure correctly

I am going to get an 8600GTS video card and will do some gaming on it. Will use the heavy gaming on my dedicated PC running to a monitor.

I am going to use this HTPC mainly for MP3 playback, some gaming, and HD DVD in the future.

Will digital suffice?

My other question is - Are the analog cables that come with the auzentech meridian good quality or do most people upgrade? I know cable quality is emphasized more on analog rather than digital.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/0

I am going to get an 8600GTS video card and will do some gaming on it. Will use the heavy gaming on my dedicated PC running to a monitor.

I am going to use this HTPC mainly for MP3 playback, some gaming, and HD DVD in the future.

Will digital suffice?

My other question is - Are the analog cables that come with the auzentech meridian good quality or do most people upgrade? I know cable quality is emphasized more on analog rather than digital.

Bump on analog cable quality.

Auzentech 5.1 cables any good or do most upgrade?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You'll get different answers from different people. Personally, unless the cable is absolute crap, or broken, you won't notice any difference unless your runs are very long.

I'm not sure if the Meridian comes with cables, if not you can get them at monoprice.

Ozy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0

You'll get different answers from different people. Personally, unless the cable is absolute crap, or broken, you won't notice any difference unless your runs are very long.

I'm not sure if the Meridian comes with cables, if not you can get them at monoprice.

Ozy

Thanx guys. I am going to order the Auzentech XM now and grab 5 regular mono rcas from monoprice.

Can't wait to hear it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Auzentech X-mystique has worked well so far for me, toslinked into my Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 surround receiver, even comes with the cable. Just be sure and download the latest drivers from Auzentech, because the ones that came on the CD where from 2004, latest were Jan.07 and work much better. The 2004 ones had major delay problems on my system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.