AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've posted similar post in another section, but I want to ask speaker specific questions over here.
Our new house got constructed and I'm planning to build a home theater in the basement. My intention was always to build a decent size dedicated home theater in our basement that can accommodate our large family. Since we went with a big national builder, I could not get my desired dimensions.

I have 13' x 40' unfinished space with 3 sides concrete. The unfinished ceiling height is 8'10''. I understand I would have to lose some more space for studs & drywalls, especially for sound proofing the room.

I took a stab at designing the home theater. I plan to primarily use the space for 80/20 - Movies/Music.
I'm looking for your suggestions on what I might be missing or if it can be planned in a better way.

Questions:
i) seating layout - far too many? Can I pull it off or do you guys see any issues?
I can live without last row of bar seating.

ii) Does this room size benefit from 9.4.6 or can I get by 7.4.4 or 7.4.6? Does Forward wide channels add any benefit?
I know there isn't much content using those channels. I can wire it for now and level it.

iii) Subs - I have 4 21 inch Lavolce drivers. Should i be going with 4 Full Martys or 4 Mini Martys or 4 Devastators?
I've read building Devastators is bit complex when compared to Martys, but for the size of our theater, does going with Devastators have any extra benefit?

iv) Speakers - I have Polk LSiM 707 and Center channel and 3 pairs of LSiM 702 F/X for FW, side & rear surrounds
Are these good enough? I want to go DIY route with Titan LX for LCR channels eventually when I have time to build them.
Will there be huge benefit if I go with Titans from the beginning?

v) Atmos - I'm planning to with Micca (or others?) for Atmos. Or should I build something like Volts?
Does the ceiling atmos placement look good?

vi) AT Screen - Planning to go with Elunevision nanoedge. Any downsides or better alternatives?
elunevision dot com/audioweave-4k/nanoedge/
Or should I go with DIY route for the AT screen?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
iii) Subs - I have 4 21 inch Lavolce drivers. Should i be going with 4 Full Martys or 4 Mini Martys or 4 Devastators?
Devastator!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Devastator!
Thank you for your suggestion. I see that few folks including you are going with Mini Devastators. I don't think subwoofer cabinet height would not be a problem for my setup (since my front subs will be behind AT screen), can I get similar performance with Mini devastators vs Regular ones?

Also, according to GSG website, Full martys are tuned at 15Hz and Home Theater Devastators are tuned only down to 19Hz.
Wouldn't I be losing low end extension?

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
479 Posts
Subs - I have 4 21 inch Lavolce drivers. Should i be going with 4 Full Martys or 4 Mini Martys or 4 Devastators?

does going with Devastators have any extra benefit?

I want to go DIY route with Titan LX for LCR channels eventually when I have time to build them.

Will there be huge benefit if I go with Titans from the beginning?

Thanks in advance!!
I have equal amounts of concrete and I’ve found that horn subs create a better presence and ported and sealed creates more pressure. Pressure doesn’t do anything for a room that cannot move except for pressurize my ear drums which actually hurt me. But, my six horn subs (Devestators) create plenty effect or some may even call it “chest punch” which helps shake most everything that does move including me.

Some also may say that getting to 10hz is cool and is a MUST HAVE feature for a theater but for me I’ve gone with some BOSS (open baffle) speakers to just do the 5hz to 30hz and they work great. I would look into a BOSS riser / platform or even a BOSS back for the low octave stuff, better boom for the $ if you ask me.

Four Devs would be my advice and to achieve a good overall sound field I would consider two MINI Devs for the front and two LFEs or BMDs for the back. Mini midbass up front and lower for the backs. Or.... I’ve heard the Finalizer has the best of both worlds, four of them.

The Titans for full range LCR is by far the way to go. I did things the hard way but when I got my system upgraded to “capable LCR fronts” it was.... wow.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have equal amounts of concrete and I’ve found that horn subs create a better presence and ported and sealed creates more pressure. Pressure doesn’t do anything for a room that cannot move except for pressurize my ear drums which actually hurt me. But, my six horn subs (Devestators) create plenty effect or some may even call it “chest punch” which helps shake most everything that does move including me.

Some also may say that getting to 10hz is cool and is a MUST HAVE feature for a theater but for me I’ve gone with some BOSS (open baffle) speakers to just do the 5hz to 30hz and they work great. I would look into a BOSS riser / platform or even a BOSS back for the low octave stuff, better boom for the $ if you ask me.

Four Devs would be my advice and to achieve a good overall sound field I would consider two MINI Devs for the front and two LFEs or BMDs for the back. Mini midbass up front and lower for the backs. Or.... I’ve heard the Finalizer has the best of both worlds, four of them.

The Titans for full range LCR is by far the way to go. I did things the hard way but when I got my system upgraded to “capable LCR fronts” it was.... wow.

100% agree on the bass situation. If your floor is immovable (concrete), sub 20 content is pretty useless imo. It does nothing except to make me feel sick, and I also went with a BOSS mini riser (elevates my seating by less than 2").
Btw, the Devastator is more a band-pass, not a horn. No expanding sections there ;)
I'm running an SKHorn, which is a front-loaded vented band pass. I think any design using those pro drivers will have good mid-bass (what you describe as presence), simply due to the driver's high voltage sensitivity.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
can I get similar performance with Mini devastators vs Regular ones?
I can't speak on the in room similarities and or differences as I only have a mini devastator. What I can say is my two mini devastators are phenomenal:)

Also, according to GSG website, Full martys are tuned at 15Hz and Home Theater Devastators are tuned only down to 19Hz.
Wouldn't I be losing low end extension?

Thanks, Kevin
Well, obviously yes. Would you notice it in room, watching a movie, I don't think so. Besides, If your main focus is high spl extension down to the low to mid teens, then you have the wrong driver. Furthermore, I've seen it time and time again, someone builds a subwoofer system with the focus for low end extension, only to come back here and complain about the lack of "mid bass slam":rolleyes: I doubt you would have that issue given the driver you've selected though:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for pointing me out the limitations of concrete floor & walls for

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
100% agree on the bass situation. If your floor is immovable (concrete), sub 20 content is pretty useless imo. It does nothing except to make me feel sick, and I also went with a BOSS mini riser (elevates my seating by less than 2").
Btw, the Devastator is more a band-pass, not a horn. No expanding sections there ;)
I'm running an SKHorn, which is a front-loaded vented band pass. I think any design using those pro drivers will have good mid-bass (what you describe as presence), simply due to the driver's high voltage sensitivity.
Thank you. I agree that Devs mainly are geared towards mid-bass (40-60Hz), but looks like GSG released new II version and Home Theater (19Hz) & Music (28Hz) versions are available now. I'm planning to go with HT 19Hz versions.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Subwoofer science is pretty simple: the bigger the louder. If you want the loudest devastator (or with the lowest extension), get the biggest one ;)
For the BOSS, most people drive it with a Behringer NX amp and EQ their systems with a miniDsp 2x4HD. I think the newer JBL driver might be the CX1200.
You could get a clone amp (the FP20000Q should be pretty neat on 4x8R devs) and an NX6000 for the BOSS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I did read few more builds about BOSS and I got some clarity.
I hope Best Buy runs BlackFriday deal again on JBL GX1200 for $29. I'll grab 9 of these (3 for each rows) and use NX6000 to drive all 9 of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts