AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I would like to replace my HTR-6130 Yamaha to something like :

- Pioneer 60-Watt 7.2 Channel AV Receiver (VSX-1124-K)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...-receiver-vsx-1124-k-vsx-1124-k/10302145.aspx

or

- Sony 150-Watt 7.2 Channel Wi-Fi 4K Receiver (STRDN850)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...i-4k-receiver-strdn850-strdn850/10298225.aspx
I suppose wattage doesn't really matter.

I have currently normal copper wire, do I need to get banana plug for one of these amp?

Let me know what you would choose,
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
41 Posts
No. Banana plugs are merely a more convenient alternative to regular wire nuts. In fact, most banana plug inputs can also be used as regular wire nuts. A picture of a typical example is attached. The red and black nuts can be unscrewed to make a bare wire connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Banana plugs are merely a more convenient alternative to regular wire nuts. In fact, most banana plug inputs can also be used as regular wire nuts. A picture of a typical example is attached. The red and black nuts can be unscrewed to make a bare wire connection.
Thanks!

All I need to know is what AMP should I upgrade to.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Whats the reason for upgrading, and why have you chosen those 2 avr's? No explanation... No way to know how to help you choose!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the reason for upgrading, and why have you chosen those 2 avr's? No explanation... No way to know how to help you choose!
Hi,
You are definitely right!
I have to upgrade since my current AMP is only giving me 3 HDMI inputs and I need at least 4 IN at the moment.
No reason why I chose these 2, maybe because they are listed as top 3 on http://av-receiver-review.toptenreviews.com

I am open to suggestion, also 450$ is top I could pay.
The main issue is I am running all HDMI to the TV then out to the amp and a optical from TV to the AMP but that gives me 2.0 sound. I would like to benefit from my 5.1.

Thanks for the message!

·
Registered
28,746 Posts
What HDMI devices will you be connecting to this receiver?

Don't sell yourself short, you'll want more than 4 HDMI ports. If you fill them up now then you'll want to buy another receiver later to accommodate any new devices. Get at least 6 HDMI ports to play it safe.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Don't sell yourself short, you'll want more than 4 HDMI ports. If you fill them up now then you'll want to buy another receiver later to accommodate any new devices. Get at least 6 HDMI ports to play it safe.
This exactly, if youll use 4 hdmi inputs. Get a avr with 5 so you have atleast 1 spare on the rear!:cool:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have the cable box, Wii U, Xbox 360, Apple TV, DVD Player (heres 5 already!)
The Xbox isn't connected and Apple TV is connected to another TV :)

The 2 you picked are fine, also take a look at the Denon x2100w for 399.99...

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X21...TF8&qid=1428453365&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+2100
I will have a look right now, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What are the difference in the wattage of the first 2 presented AMP? The Sony and the Pioneer? I tend to go with the Pioneer since it has more HDMI in.

It might be me but I can't find the input for the sub on the pioneer and there is 2 output, is there a difference between both?

Thank you for all the answers!

·
Registered
28,746 Posts
You don't need a sub input on the receiver, just sub outs. All your devices are HDMI so no need for a sub input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see, might be a good idea to buy a HDMI switch instead of switching the AMP. Ill have a look at my setup again tonight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts