AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have turned a bedroom into a small dedicated home theater. However, with the amps, projector, and people in the room it gets quite warm. The room is on the second floor and there is attic space above. Also, there is attic space on the other side of one wall of the room.

The components are in a closet and I am thinking of closing the sliding closet door, cutting a hole to project through, and installing a bathroom ceiling fan in the closet to vent the hot air into the attic. However, I am concerned that that may not be enough in such a small space.

I've briefly looked into installing a dedicated AC unit in the room, but aside from the installation complexity (I would have to wire 240V power up to the room), I am concerned about the noise as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking into portable AC units, I see that many of them no longer require regular emptying of a water collection tank or drain pan, so putting one of these in the attic with a tube to direct the cold air into the the room may be an option. Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SR...tioner/dp/B002XITVCK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I've an attic theater build going now, and I'll be using a portable air conditioner. My room is about 18x18, so just a little over 300sq ft. I'll be getting a portable unit that's 13,000 Btu's that will cool over 500 sq ft.

My friend has one in his attic and it gets cold in there.

I'll venting it out through the wall and to the outside of the house.

I don't believe I'll have any problems. I'm also thinking of recessing the unit in the knee wall with plenty of space around it, to save on floor space.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,146 Posts
I'm not aware of any parts of the country where you can exhaust air into the attic, outside yes.

My vote would be a ducted mini-split for the quietest solution.

The cheapest DIY solution is some flex ducts and an inline fan. Exchange the air with cooler air from somewhere else in the house with a larger reservoir of conditioned air. Often referred to here as a dead vent.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Portable AC Unit

@conquer1: Many years ago, I had a portable air conditioner and it hardly cooled the room. I figured out that it was because all the hot air that it pumped out the window had to be replaced. Where did this replacement air come from? The outside! (it could come from other rooms in the house, but even then it would still have to be replaced with hot outside air). I see that now they make dual-hose portable AC units where one hose draws air from the outside and the other vents the hot air to the outside. If you go portable, I would think that would be an important feature.

@BIGmouthinDC: I agree that a ducted minisplit system would be great. However, it's hard to get past the cost (at least 3X as much) and for a DIY solution, the installation looks much harder. The portable AC units have hoses that I could exhaust out the gable vent.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
A portable AC unit pushing air via flexi/rigid duct into your ht room works well. That is what I use. My HT is in the basement so in winter I do not use the AC but only the fan on the AC unit.

Prior to using the above I tried to use just a fan to "pull" air out of my HT room but that did not work well at all. Pushing air into the room seems to work much better then pulling. Now I have the AC unit pushing air into the ht room and also a fan pulling air out too. Seems to work really well and air is kept fresh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts