AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm working on getting my first home theatre setup going. I'm just looking for advice on speakers (5.1) and a receiver combo that won't break the bank,

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my opinion I've never heard in-ceiling speakers that get the job done. Everyone (by everyone I mean like 3 people) I know that had in-ceiling speakers were disappointed with the surround effect.

Also, be sure and set a good chunk of money aside just for the subwoofer. If I'm reading your post right then it sounds like the 15x15 foot room opens up to other rooms. This means that your sub has A LOT of area it has to move air in even if you aren't that far from where it's placed.

Everyone will probably start recommending the speakers they bought more so then what exactly it is you need and for good reason; they are satisfied customers. Infact, I'll do the same right now. I have a polk rti4 bookshelf set-up that I couldn't be happier with considering you can find these speakers for ~$150 a pair. Just remember the key is what works for you because speakers are subjective at the end of the day. The caveat to that is you have to first try fine wine before judging what lesser wines should taste like if all you're used to is wells. I hope that made sense. Basically everyone will also tell you to audition speakers yourself, but make sure you also listen to really nice speakers so you know what to judge the speakers in your budget against.

There's also many people with similar budgets who made threads that might help you start narrowing things down.

Hope this helps you start on your search, good luck!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Go separates; don't buy a HTIB kind of item.

Just a general guideline for budgeting;

$300 for electronics,

$300 for speakers,

$300 for sub-woofer.

$50-$100 for room treatments (sound deadening etc.)

Budget allotment can go up or down in each category depending on what kind of deals you can get.

Also, some people prefer a different ratio, its all up to personal preference. But one thing everyone agrees on is to spend more on speakers than on electronics.

What are you looking for in the receiver; HDMI inputs? HD audio decoding? Up-conversion?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

In the receiver, I don't think I'm looking for anything incredible. Currently I only have 2 devices using HDMI, of course I'd like a little room for future expansion, but I can only think of one more device that I would get which would require it.

Other than that, I just want to have something that can handle all the new audio codecs. I'm not concerned with video processing, my TV can handle that. Based on the general setup of my room, I don't think I'd ever really step up to 7.1 either.

Thanks for the help!

--ace

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are not adverse to Best Buy go see if they have a Klipsch Quintet demo set up. You can get the 5 Quintets, a SW350 (8" 350w sub) and a Yahmaha receiver , usually for under $1k.

I'm not a huge fan of the Yamaha receivers they package them with. I think if you are going to just piece a system together yourself look at a Denon 590 for your receiver.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Dark5 made good suggestions here. Go listen to speakers and see what you like. As far as your budget,if I was you I would use the AVR you have now(if you have one) and use all the budget on getting fronts and build from there. If you can squeeze in the center great.

Dark5 is correct in that you will need not to skimp on the sub. You might look at the ID subs for the best value.

If you have to buy a AVR,I would keep it in the $350 range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts