AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to upper end audio/video. I'm a college student and for the last 12 years I've had my Sony Home Theater In A Box system. My receiver has started to finally go bad so over the weekend I went shopping. Instead I found some good deals on Klipsch speakers for my "new" setup.

I bought:

2 Synergy B-20 speakers for my front channels.

2 Klipsch KS-14 for the rear surrounds.

I was just wondering if these speakers were good for a beginner like me? The reviews were good on Amazon and Newegg, but those are pretty basic reviews. Any idea for a good center channel for someone on a budget like me?

Sorry if this was too long of a question.

Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have the old powered subwoofer that came with the first system, but yes trust me after the receiver that will be next. I want to spend around the $300ish range for the new receive, currently I have to put my receiver at around 50% to get any descent sound out of the speakers.

The receiver I currently have is the Sony STR-K750P.

I was looking at the Harman Kardon AVR1700 but I don't really know what to look for : / ha

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan26  /t/1525410/suggestions-advice#post_24557793

I have the old powered subwoofer that came with the first system, but yes trust me after the receiver that will be next. I want to spend around the $300ish range for the new receive, currently I have to put my receiver at around 50% to get any descent sound out of the speakers.

The receiver I currently have is the Sony STR-K750P.

I was looking at the Harman Kardon AVR1700 but I don't really know what to look for : / ha
Well ignore the Harman Kardon AVR-1700. It has limited power in surround sound mode, so you will have to push the volume knob alittle more. HK receivers have a signifigant drop in power when in surround mode.

You can get a great deal on a factory refrubished Denon AVR-e400 here. Denon receiver make the power they claim.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre400/denon-avr-e400-7.1-4k-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I knew that Denon receivers were great too, does it matter that it is 7.1 and I would only be using it as a 5.1?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts