AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I currently have a Sony SA-WM40 sub and will be upgrading very soon. I have narrowed my choices down to these 4 replacement subs:

1. Velodyne CT120, used, in excellent condition for $200 on CL

2. Bic F12 $186.00 Amazon

3. Bic PL-200 sub $328.00 Amazon

4. Lava LSP12 $350

Out of these 4 subs, what would you go for? Would all of the subs that I listed be an upgrade to my Sony that I have now? I am looking for deeper, cleaner bass that you can feel. Can I get what I am after with a budget of $350??

I have a new Yamaha RX-A700 that is running this system.

This is for 99.9% ht with little to no music. I am running Polk 60's in the front and Polk CS2 for the center. Will add some Polk 40's to the back down the road.

Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated!!

Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a interesting point Tesserac! It would only be a few more bucks than the Lava sub. And I am sure I could feel the bass! Is the F12 an upgrade to the Sony sub that I have now? I am thinking that any name brand sub would be an upgrade to my Sony!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The Hsu & eD are higher quality. But two F12's will easily outgun them, are a good choice in a budget home theater system, and will be much better than the Sony.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
If you go with the LSP12 make sure to email Lava to get your 15% off discount code for AVS members. They'll give an extra 5% if you're in the military.

Emotiva is having a sale right now on their Ultra 12 for $429 (down from $499) + free shipping.

From what I've read the Ultra 12 digs a lot deeper.

Audioholic's Review of LSP12

Here is a quote from the above review.

"While the Lava LSP12 displayed respectable output above 35Hz, it's hard to ignore the output advantage of the smaller, and only slightly more expensive Emotiva Ultra 12 subwoofer, especially at and below 30Hz. If you scale up our 2 meter calibrated GP measurements of the Lava LSP12 sub to 1 meter and directly compare them to Gene's Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 measurements its clear to see the Emotive Ultra 12 subwoofer has about an 8dB output advantage at 30Hz and a whopping 20dB advantage at 20Hz. The reader must decide if the additional $100 or so for the Emotiva is justified by its measurably better performance."

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/20784429

The Hsu & eD are higher quality. But two F12's will easily outgun them, are a good choice in a budget home theater system, and will be much better than the Sony.

How is eD better quality? Do you realize how many people have had issues with amps failing in their eD subs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the Lava subs use better quality woofers than the Bic's? I remember seeing the thread comparing the 2 12" woofers and the Lava's magnet was much larger than the Bic's and it was twice as heavy. Does that matter that much?

·
Banned
10,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/20784429

But two F12's will easily outgun them, are a good choice in a budget home theater system, and will be much better than the Sony.

Maybe for shear volume but not in the ability to produce below 30hz. AND not be a boomy one note box.

There are reasons why they sell for what they do.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 /forum/post/20785942

How is eD better quality? Do you realize how many people have had issues with amps failing in their eD subs?

I haven't heard anything bad about eD amps since last summer (the Lt.200 problems). It seems like their problems with that bad batch of amps has long since been resolved, unless there is something I haven't heard about.

Without the amp issues, the eD subs are better quality (better cabinet materials and bracing, better drivers etc)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 /forum/post/20788708

Maybe for shear volume but not in the ability to produce below 30hz. AND not be a boomy one note box.

There are reasons why they sell for what they do.

We could point him to dozens of subs that are better and cost more. The budget given is $350, the application is ("for 99.9% ht with little to no music"), the goal is to beat the Sony.

Sure, one Emo 12 might go a little lower and sound better with music. It should, it costs a lot more. But it's not a powerhouse, it won't smooth the room like two subs do, and the Emo 12 won't do the job the OP needs done as well as two BIC F12's. That job is fit the budget and beat the Sony.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkendall /forum/post/20782920

I have been checking out the HSU STF-2 as well but I just can't seem to come to grips with a 10" woofer making bass you can feel. Am I wrong here?

Yes. The driver, cabinet, and amp are all properly tuned for great response.

Honestly, I'd go with the Hsu or eD. They are going to be cleaner and deeper than a pair of BIC, and much less peaky. Also, once you get the upgrade bug again, you can buy a second one and not have to worry about selling a pair of subs
The pair of lava 10's for $399 is a good deal too, but I'd probably tear them open and add some fill as soon as I got them. I also don't like that 40hz boost they have, just my personal preference though.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Another dual sub option that comes in a little over budget is the Energy S-10.3. Two of those would do a nice job.

Cgkendall - I would be helpful for us to know how big the room is, and is it open to other rooms?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Personally, I'd buy that Velodyne on CL and get an F12 and do a home demo. Sure you'll be out a little cash sending the F12 back(you could also sell it locally very easily for an amount "less" the shipping back to Amazon).

IF you don't like the Vel compared to the BIC, resell it.

The point here, all four subs(and the eD and Lava) are worth the amount being asked for them.

What tires do you put on your car? Bridgestone or Michelin? Same difference here...which do YOU like better, you won't know till you try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions!!! The room is 16x13 with 9 foot ceilings. There is a four foot opening on both ends. You are exactly right Tesseract...my goal is to beat the Sony sub with a subwoofer that has more authority!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Cgkendall - All the subs mentioned will beat the Sony. Consider that you are going to need to move some air in a room like that, and duals will help you do that while smoothing the room.

Which ever sub you pick, plan on getting at least two of them eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.