• B

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Was hoping to get some suggestions on where to mount my right surround. See picture below, would you choose location A or B? The speakers are the Goldenear SuperSat 3's. These will be mounted close to ceiling height, and cannot be angled, so the direction you see in the diagram is the direction they would point. Which location would you recommend for better surround effects.

If A, I would require 44' of cable, would you recommend going 14G or is 16G enough?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
There is a diagram on the Dolby site showing suggested placement. i think the surrounds should be directly to the side, with about 30 degrees, so I would choose B. I would also move the left surround to be in the same plane if at all possible.

Position A would be for a rear speaker, not surround.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A few 2x4s and some plywood should cover up that window nuisance just nicely.
But seriously, I would choose B as well. Is there any chance you can use speaker stands so that they can be more in line with each other?

If not well here's where having good room correction like Audyssey will come into play.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My recommendation is to try both locations and see which works best for you. If that means running two cables, so be it. At 44' I would use 12 AWG. It will work well for a 4 or 8 ohm load. 14 AWG would be close to marginal with a 4 ohm load, 16 AWG with a 8 ohm load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, yea, covering up that window would make my wife really happy

I decided to go with B, I tried getting them as close as possible, but unfortunately the layout of the living room won't allow for parallel mounting.

I've got a onkyo with setup mic, so hopefully that will help.

Both speakers are wired up with 16 AWG, since I went with B, both wires are about 25-30ft. They'll be powering 8ohm speakers.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts