AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo 595 receiver for my ht and need a suggestion for loudspeakers for the adjacent room for music listening. The room size is 12 by 14 1/2. Axiom audio suggests the M60 ti. Are the rockets 550 too powerful for the room and the receiver?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had my Rocket 750's in a similar size room(I was able to get pkg #2 in that room) and it was fine for HT & music. I initially powered it with an Onkyo 919 and it worked fine. If you plan on listen at loud levels(100dB+) you may want to get a more powerful receiver.

Arnold

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
since trekker said you might need a more powerful receiver for driving the 550 at 100dB+...

I do not know the watts per channel rating of your Onkyo, but the Axioms have 2 sensitivity ratings on their website for the M60: 93 dB in room, and 89 dB in anechoic chamber.

The 550 is rated at 89 dB, but no mention is made on how the measurement was taken. Worst case scenario, there is a 4dB difference between these 2 speakers, meaning the 550 will require more than 2 times the power of the M60.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
speaker specs aren't always consistent as this example below illustrates...

i had the Axiom M22Tti (93dB 1W/1M sensitivity in room per their website), Ascend CBM-170 (89dB per their website) and Rocket RS150 (88dB 1W/1M sensitivity in room per their website) in my room and the Axioms did not play 5dBs louder than the Rockets nor did they play 4dBs louder than the Ascends at the same volume setting on my preamp. In fact, the Ascends were slighty louder than the Rockets which corresponds to the manufacturers' specs. The Axioms however played at the same volume as the Rockets. Not sure where the 5 dB difference in sensitivity went...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
And on a side note... I makes no difference to some but to me it was the deal maker... Rockets use real matched wood veneer.... The others use vinyl.. While vinyl has come along way and if they don't have to be seen its not a big deal. With me, walking into my family room the first thing you see is the side of a Rocket tower with a huge custom built entertainment center that matches all the other wood pieces of furniture in the room. I had axiom send me samples, They are a great company that makes a good speaker so don't take this as a slam against them as that is not my intent. In fact they were very good to me to do this. However after the wife and a few others looked at the sample next to real wood in our room there is no way you could mistake it for vinyl..... Just my opinion and how it had to work in my room only. Great customer service from both companies and there are many many satisfied customers from both Rocket and Axiom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the real wood also but I am still not sure if the rockets are too powerful for my receiver and room. A lot of what has been said has been way over my head. I'm a newbie at this. I just need someone to tell me that the rocket 550's will be fine with what I have because I'm not planning on upgrading my receiver at this point. I am leaning toward the rockets.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
rstern,

Unless I am mistaken (someone will correct me), the minimum recommended power level to drive the 550s is 25W RMS. You don't need to worry about the max RMS value for now. I believe your Onkyo is 75 Wattts per channel. Not knowing the particulars about your specific Onkyo, I can say that your receiver has enough power to drive the 550s.

You might want to read up on posts at the www.********** forum to get more data on the rockets. I agree that the finish looks very nice, and virtually all agree that the cabinets are well made.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
rstern,

I think you should be fine with the 550's and your Onkyo. The main reason why I mentioned you may want more power is that you could never have too much headroom(extra power).

Arnold

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
How heavy is your receiver? Some of the 500 series Onkyos have a wimpy power supply.

When I bought my Rocket 550s, my low end Onkyo receiver s (18 lbs.) strained.. They could crank them loud, but the Rockets just sounded like they needed more power. It was gone within the week!

I bought a used Yamaha receiver that weighted 34 lbs, huge audio difference with my 550s. All the sudden they sounded fine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The weight is due to the fact that to fully deliver the power, an amp needs to have things like larger transformers, which tend to add weight to the final product. The watts/channel ratings on your or anyones receiver can be and often are misleading and Onkyo doesn't have the reputation of being best in this regard.

As for your initial question, a lot depends on how loud you intend to drive the speakers. If you're going to be playing the speakers at real high volumes, the Onkyo might not have enough juice, resulting in clipping which, in turn, could damage your speakers. If you're going to be playing them at reasonable levels for the Onkyo, then you'll probably be fine.

Really kind of hoping the speakers work out for you because, from all I hear, they really are nice and the company is fantastic as far as customer service.

As a matter of fact, why don't you contact them personally. I'm sure they'd do their best to give you an accurate answer to your questions.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
I didn't realize that the weight of the receiver had any bearing on the sound it produces.
***Edit*** Added Quote

Directly... it dosen't... Indirectly, it does.

***Disclaimer****There is actually a lot more happening in the reciever, so this is going to be a very simplistic example. Just trying to avoid the "wrath" of this forum.

The added "weight" of the reciever is usually created by beefier power supplies. The power supply converts AC to DC, and provides the voltage and amps neccessary to drive the power amps of the reciever, in simplistic terms the reciever's power wattage.

Smaller Power supplies usually have less ability to provide consistant voltage/amps to all of the power amps as they are called on to provide maximum voltage/amps at loud volume levels. This can cause the power supply to heat up which makes it that much more ineffecient.

If your power amps require more voltage/amps than the Power Supply can produce, a few things can happen... The Power supply can short out, or it can go into "overload" and turn itself off if the reciever is equipped with overload protection... but in either case the sound you hear will typically begin to clip before either of these things happen. So this could be considered the "sound it produces". It's more related to volume.

The "headroom" discussed above is the ability of the power supply to provide additional voltage/amps necessary to get the volume to where you want it, and still have additional reserve to give to the amps for more volume, if you want or need it.

An example is that big explosion in the middle of the movie that is 10-20 db louder than your average listening volume level of the rest of the movie. If you are already asking the power supply to provide it's maximum during the course of the "normal" listening volume.... It can't produce the additional power required, (it's already giving everything it has), to give the extra voltage/amps to the power amps when they ask for it when that explosion happens to get the additional "volume" from the explosion.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i have the 550's, 200, and 300 rears powered by a HK 320 (50wattsX5) in a room 13x17 and it powers the rockets fine. i live in a condo so that matters a little. if i move i may upgrade to something more powerful. the rockets sound and look great, mark and his guys at av123 are top notch and are there to help you. this is by far one of the best companies i have ever dealt with. call them and they'll honestly answer any questions you may have.

muncey

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The "buy the heavier one" line is advice I give to people whom I just know won't understand anything more in-depth. Just because a power supply is heavy doesn't necessarily mean it can't be crappy anyway. It all boils down to the specific component's design and execution. Every piece of generic advice has it's exceptions. Example: The new digital amp receivers weigh very little and are achieving some impressive results, especially considering their pricing.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
rstern

just for clarification

the speakers are not powerful. That is a function of a multitude of factors:)

The speakers can be loud, but there are numerous factors that will dictate this. Room size, Amplifier power, Speaker sensitivity and speaker watts RMS power limitations will dictate how loud a speaker will go.

The RS550 with 75 watts should play nicely. Of course don't expect to bring the house down with earth shatterying music ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.