AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Samsung DVD player a liitle while back which has DVI hook up. I recently got a Hughes hi def satalite receviver which also has the ability to use DVI. My Hitachi 65" rear projection TV has only one DVI input. So, what would be better to use the DVI for my dvd player which I use on the weekends or my TV for the hi-def programing. So, TV... component or DVI? or DVD player component or DVI. Looking for opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
DVI will probably be better in both instances. The only time I'd recommend component over DVI is if you have an significantly long cable run like I do (75-feet) and then the only reason is that the optical DVI cables are outrageously expensive.

If you don't want to get a DVI switcher for both, then use DVI for the high-def receiver, and component for the DVD.

Mojo

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would agree with Morris. My TV has one DVI and three component inputs. I use DVI for the HD cable box and component for the DVD player.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry if this a very stupid question.... I am trying to learn as quick as possible.... I hung my new Zenith ED this weekend.... haven't had a chance to do much on it yet..... but I have the DVI cable going from the Samsung HD Receiver to the TV.... It was either a 12' or 15' cable and just enough to run the length i needed up through the wall.... I didn't have any component cables long enough to make it through the wall and go from the DVD directly to tht TV, so I used a shorter set and ran the DVD player into the HD Receiver....

Is that not good.... am I losing a lot by going through the HD Rec for the DVD and not directly into the TV ?

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.