AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for choices for a combo DVD/CD player for my system in the $350 ballpark. I have decided to put off the purchase of a Pioneer Elite 59avi. I still have other area’s to improve upon before buying a higher end DVD player. I’m thinking it is better to wait until after the HD TV purchase, some format wars to settle a bit, and either a new receiver or separates. This player may have to last awhile, that’s why I wish to spend more than a Coscto $58 on it.

Of primary concern now is audio. I don’t need very high end, but we do listen to a great deal of regular old CD music. I would also like to start building my SACD collection, so having that ability would be desired too. I will be upgrading my (cough cough), BIC center and surrounds to match the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts. However, they are fine now for movies (subjective opinion, I know). I usually turn them off and just listen to stereo music through the VA’s, but I will be upgrading the center and surrounds next, so having SACD would be nice. It must also play DVD-R.

I thought of just keeping the Costco $58 Toshiba for DVD’s and putting the money into a good new or used CD player. I could do this, but then I would have to wait much longer to explore SACD and perhaps DVD audio.

Anyone have any model suggestions for a player, either new or a used one to look for on Audiogon in this price range?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Current system:

Pioneer 47TX

VA Mozarts L&R

Sony 34†Trinitron

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
The Sony S975 and Samsung 950 are both upscaling DVD players that will also play SACD, in your price range. Also check out the Denon 1920 that will be available in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I would look for a pre-owned Yamaha DVD-2300 MKII, or an Elite 47AI. Maybe a Denon DVD-2900, or DVD-2200. All these should do you good with that CRT & those Viennas. The Cambridge Audio 540D is supposed to be a good player with great audio. It's also region free out of the box, but no SACD. Here are some new & open box ones.

540D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen,

THANK YOU for the direction. I was able to buy a lightly used Denon 2200 on Audiogon for $275. I think I got an excellent deal that will give me years of good music and video until I make that high end purchase down the road. Just what I was looking for for under my price point!

This forum is invaluable. Thank You again!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Good job. Laugh at layer changes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.