AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Receiver: Onkyo 605

I am looking to replace my floor standing speakers and my center speaker? I was told they should match, is this true?

Any suggestions with an $800 budget?

thanks i appreciate it

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
room size, listening preferrence, current speakers, why are you dissatisfied with your current setup ????

"timbre matching" is the magic phrase for the front 3 speakers. Consider the wide soundstage created by the L-C-R speakers. As a sound or voice moves across the front three speakers, if the tweeters (and to some extent the midrange) speakers don't match, you may notice a shift in tone between speakers. It's not an ironclad rule, but the more the center differs from the L & R speaker, the greater the chance of a tone shift.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16929135

room size, listening preferrence, current speakers, why are you dissatisfied with your current setup ????

"timbre matching" is the magic phrase for the front 3 speakers. Consider the wide soundstage created by the L-C-R speakers. As a sound or voice moves across the front three speakers, if the tweeters (and to some extent the midrange) speakers don't match, you may notice a shift in tone between speakers. It's not an ironclad rule, but the more the center differs from the L & R speaker, the greater the chance of a tone shift.

Room size- Not big, Im in an apartment

Listening preference- I watch Blu ray movies, play ps3, and watch tv.

Reason why Im Dissatisfied- The vocals when Im watching a blu ray are very low. I have to turn the receiver way up and then the sound effects are way too loud. I have the center speaker at +12. I think Im going to try to run the audessey set up again. Iwas thinking that the reason im having a problem is because my front speakers do not match. Center= Polk csi13 and Front: Sony SS-MF650H

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
reset your a/v receiver menu to "factory default" and listen to your speakers with no adjustments imposed by Audessey. Far too many people have mentioned exactly the same problem you are having with terrible center channel response after an audessey setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts