AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have just started university and I study film making. I would like to buy a camcorder for around 1500 bucks, looked around a few sites but I don't know which to choose.
I would like to have lots of room for manual control on it. A timelapse function would be great too. I don't need silly image filters, I will use the proper pogram for post processing.
I looked at some sony models like the HDR-CX900 but I don't really like its zoom rocker for example, I would like to be able to do gentle zooms. Other than that I am not an expert (yet) just want to improve my skills and get a little bit of experience in making films. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I suggest you wait, while atending film school you will learn alot and meet alot of like minded people. What you prefer and need to make films is about to go through some serious changes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Good advice, Mattias. When you need a camcorder for your studies, ask your professors and fellow students what they recommend.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Any $50 digital camera is good enough for practicing framing, staging and montage - the building blocks of storytelling. When you figure out what sort of camera you need (for news, for docos, for Hollywood-like movies, for product reviews, etc) you will buy one that fits your needs.

P.S. For $1500 a used HMC150 makes a great news/doco/interview camera. Or get a used DVX100b for about $500 - all the important controls and vintage feel when using tapes, and it has 24p as well. DV is very easy to edit on modern computers - your workflow will be very fast. But you will need FireWire for DV ingestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts