AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am a newbie member here. I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate quality sound. This is my first foray into audio setup of any kind and I want to do it right.

I am moving to a new apartment soon and want to have a decent 2.0 system. will be living with roommates and do not have the room (or the budget) for fancy setups. My max budget would be about $200-250 (maybe slightly more). I will be using this system with my computer (it has SPDIF out) mostly for music (and the occasional movie). I listen to classical music and rock, not sure if that info helps.

I have never been happy with computer speakers. I did look at better "computer" speakers like the creative i-trigue and gigaworks T20/T40 but I don't know if I'd be better off buying bookshelf speakers (like the polk audio monitor 30) and a used (or a new) reciever for better quality (and future upgradeability when I move out and have a place for myself in about 1.5 years or so). Would something like this be a good route, or am I better off buying computer speakers like klipsch PM?

If buying speakers like polk 30 and a reciever (like sherwood 4109) is the way to go, what do you suggest for me? Would active studio monitors be a better alternative at my budget?

I don't mind buying used stuff as long as they are in good condition, but as I mentioned earlier I am a total newbie and have no idea what to buy. Your suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

· The Village Idiot
9,884 Posts
For a receiver under $200 try the
HK AVR 247 7.1 receiver - auctioned by Harman Audio on ebay. If you are careful you can get one for under $200.

It will take coax or optical from your laptop no problem. A pair of
Polk Monitor 40s would sound better than the 30s and you can get them from Polk Audio - also on ebay. A pair of them go for $70-140 - plus shipping. That would be a great sounding setup that can be expanded later when you have the room and the money to do so. This would all fit inside your budget if you are very careful at bidding.

I don't own the Monitor 40s but I have the HK 247 in my bedroom 5.0 setup. Its a very good sounding receiver. Comes with a 2 year warranty also - one better than most of the competition.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.