AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My sharp Aquos took a crap yesterday. Disappointing that’s its only 5 years old. Got 1 thin black line across it a couple months ago. Then got a second last week and then last night it flashed a picture, went black and now it’s sound only.

So with that being said the hunt for something new commences. It was a 70” and I’d like to upgrade to something between 75-85.

It’s in an open concept living room/kitchen. Decent amount of natural light during the day but can be cut down if the blinds are closed. Viewing distance is about 16’ from couch to tv. It’ll be hooked up to a full 5.1 surround setup so don’t really care about the quality of a factory speaker.

Tv is used mostly for cable tv and live sports as we have a theater room downstairs with a projector. I don’t game at all but prefer something that is good with motion for the live sports aspect.

Would like to keep the price tag under $2,000

Suggestions? Feel free to ask any follow up questions if I’ve forgotten anything ....

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hey guys,

My sharp Aquos took a crap yesterday. Disappointing that’s its only 5 years old. Got 1 thin black line across it a couple months ago. Then got a second last week and then last night it flashed a picture, went black and now it’s sound only.

So with that being said the hunt for something new commences. It was a 70” and I’d like to upgrade to something between 75-85.

It’s in an open concept living room/kitchen. Decent amount of natural light during the day but can be cut down if the blinds are closed. Viewing distance is about 16’ from couch to tv. It’ll be hooked up to a full 5.1 surround setup so don’t really care about the quality of a factory speaker.

Tv is used mostly for cable tv and live sports as we have a theater room downstairs with a projector. I don’t game at all but prefer something that is good with motion for the live sports aspect.

Would like to keep the price tag under $2,000

Suggestions? Feel free to ask any follow up questions if I’ve forgotten anything ....

Thanks in advance!

Do you need wider viewing angles?

Will the room be dark or lighted?

Since you're watching cable TV and sports, will you get a TV without local dimming?

If you'll be watching in a lighted room and need wide viewing angles, there are LG FALD IPS panel TVs in your price range such as the 75NANO90 and 75SM9070.

If you want FALD VA panel, the 2019 Samsung QN75Q70R is on clearance.

Don't need local dimming, then there are many choices including the LG VA panel 82UM8070 and 82UN8570, several LG and Sony IPS panels, and several Samsung VA panels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wide viewing angles are too important. It’ll be on a a nice wall mount that allows it to swivel back and forth between kitchen and living room. And it’s almost never that we weren’t either both in the kitchen or both in the living room.

Not a ton of lighted viewing as most hours will be in the evening or during the day with the blinds drawn closed

My biggest issue is I don’t know what any of the acronyms mean or how important they are to me

Only thing I know is I love my Sony projector for motion but not sure if that translates to their tv’s?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Wide viewing angles are too important. It’ll be on a a nice wall mount that allows it to swivel back and forth between kitchen and living room. And it’s almost never that we weren’t either both in the kitchen or both in the living room.
From the second sentence, I'm guessing in the first you meant "aren't too important". So, if viewing angles don't matter, you don't want an IPS panel, you want a traditional VA panel without any wide angle layers.

Not a ton of lighted viewing as most hours will be in the evening or during the day with the blinds drawn closed

My biggest issue is I don’t know what any of the acronyms mean or how important they are to me

Only thing I know is I love my Sony projector for motion but not sure if that translates to their tv’s?
Again, with viewing in the dark, another confirmation you want a traditional VA panel

Sony motion is revered by Sony fans in all of their LCDs and OLEDs. If you act quickly, you can still pick up a 75" Sony X900F FALD VA panel TV for less than $2,000. Don't wait they'll be gone soon. There are cheaper non FALD VA panels mostly from Samsung, but since you're a Sony user maybe just go for the X900F.

FALD = Full Array Local Dimming, mostly useful for HDR movies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops! Definitely meant viewing angles AREN’T too important

Thanks for the suggestion on the 900. That might be the ticket. Was kinda hoping to go up to at least 80 but the logical part of my brain tells me I have a 120” projector. Will An extra 5 inches really make a different a upstairs?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Whoops! Definitely meant viewing angles AREN’T too important

Thanks for the suggestion on the 900. That might be the ticket. Was kinda hoping to go up to at least 80 but the logical part of my brain tells me I have a 120” projector. Will An extra 5 inches really make a different a upstairs?

I just went from a 70 to an 82. I sit 8' from the TV and kind of wish I went with an 86. Too much hassle to exchange this one. For your viewing distance get the biggest set you can. I bought this- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_68982N8570/LG-82UN8570PUC.html only had it since yesterday but what little I watched looked great to me. My previous set was a 2011 Sharp Quattron that still worked perfectly but I wanted the better audio that comes with 4K streams and of course the larger size.

Crutchfield also sells the 86" https://www.crutchfield.com/p_68986N8570/LG-86UN8570PUC.html both are currently out of stock though. Based on my limited viewing either would be hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So many damn options!

A little more research on my own tells me I should be looking at a full array VA screen?

Don’t really care about off angle with it just being the Mrs and I. We’re either both on the couch or the screen is swiveled towards the kitchen and we’re both cooking.

Don’t like the idea of edge lit either now that I know what I’m looking at

Is $2,000 possible for 85 inches with that criteria that would be good for live sports?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
So many damn options!

A little more research on my own tells me I should be looking at a full array VA screen?

Don’t really care about off angle with it just being the Mrs and I. We’re either both on the couch or the screen is swiveled towards the kitchen and we’re both cooking.

Don’t like the idea of edge lit either now that I know what I’m looking at

Is $2,000 possible for 85 inches with that criteria that would be good for live sports?

Not new unless you can find a set from 2018.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not new unless you can find a set from 2018.

Fair enough, I figured economies of scale would have prices going down, not up... good thing I’m not a finance guy lol.

What kind of price point would I be at? Happy to do the research myself but there’s so many damn tv’s out there I don’t know which one is which when it comes to features like VA and full aray

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Fair enough, I figured economies of scale would have prices going down, not up... good thing I’m not a finance guy lol.

What kind of price point would I be at? Happy to do the research myself but there’s so many damn tv’s out there I don’t know which one is which when it comes to features like VA and full array

Least expensive is the Sony 900h at around $2800.

But if your main use is sports and occasional movie watching I don't see the need for a FALD set. I just got an LG 82UN8570 that is not a VA panel and may or may not be full array back lit but does not have local dimming and it's great. The 86" version is currently around $1900.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

What kind of price point would I be at? Happy to do the research myself but there’s so many damn tv’s out there I don’t know which one is which when it comes to features like VA and full aray

If 75" is too small, pony up more cash for the FALD VA panel 85" Sony X900F. It's $200 less than the new X900H 85" and arguably better with more zones, a brighter display, and better upscaling.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If 75" is too small, pony up more cash for the FALD VA panel 85" Sony X900F. It's $200 less than the new X900H 85" and arguably better with more zones, a brighter display, and better upscaling.

Really liked the sound of it but don’t seem to see it anywhere for sale? I’m assuming they’re all gone now forever?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looked at the 900f at B&H and it may very well still be the winner but disappointed it’s one of the few things that does not seem to qualify for their free shipping (not surprised with its size) Add in shipping and tax and I’m over $3k

Went to look at the 900f is 65” form at my local Best Buy just so I could see PQ before purchasing and the tv next to it is advertised as a 2019 Sony X85G 85” tv. It was about $1,000 less than the 900f and to my naked eye I couldn’t tell a difference in PQ. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Looked at the 900f at B&H and it may very well still be the winner but disappointed it’s one of the few things that does not seem to qualify for their free shipping (not surprised with its size) Add in shipping and tax and I’m over $3k

Went to look at the 900f is 65” form at my local Best Buy just so I could see PQ before purchasing and the tv next to it is advertised as a 2019 Sony X85G 85” tv. It was about $1,000 less than the 900f and to my naked eye I couldn’t tell a difference in PQ. Am I missing something?

No FALD, but it is a VA panel. The smaller X850G panels are IPS.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No FALD, but it is a VA panel. The smaller X850G panels are IPS.

Ah! Okay. Man I’m all over the board. I guess I wonder how much of the more of the features I’ll utilize on the 900f if every time we want to watch a streaming service or dvd we head to the theater room. Tv is just for cable when we’re cooking or eating

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Ah! Okay. Man I’m all over the board. I guess I wonder how much of the more of the features I’ll utilize on the 900f if every time we want to watch a streaming service or dvd we head to the theater room. Tv is just for cable when we’re cooking or eating

If you won't be watching HDR movies on it, the 85" X850G will be just fine. It's a VA panel with deep blacks and is plenty bright enough for SDR cable watching. Go for it and save some $.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts