AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to the forums and have seen some great ideas from the community. I will be building a theater probably beginning December or January. Here’s the rough plan for now, it’s all very flexible except for where the bathroom is plumbed. A couple questions I have:
1) Should I keep the hallway portion?
2) Would it be better to have the screen on the 20’ or 17’ wall? I have my opinions but I appreciate any recs/suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The interior dimension of that wall is 16' 1" on the plan. The outside dimension includes wall thickness. What is outside this space to the right? Open? Or a hallway with rooms on either side?

Unless you have an option to enter the room in the lower corner, you definitely want the screen on the short wall so your entry is on the side. Otherwise you'd have a rear center entry and essentially one wide row with projector above your entry.

16x20 is a great size to work with. Wish i had that extra bit of room!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I will go against conventional wisdom and would put the screen on the long wall.
This allows your surround speakers to be a bit further away from your outer seats and prevents hotspotting.
If you put your main row of seating at 1/3 room length (5'4") from the back wall (best for acoustics) you still have plenty of room to open the 3' door.
Doesn't leave much room for a second row in front if you need more than one row though ?
Drawing looks like a free standing building ?

·
Registered
639 Posts
1) Should I keep the hallway portion?
2) Would it be better to have the screen on the 20’ or 17’ wall? I have my opinions but I appreciate any recs/suggestions
If you can't get rid of the bathroom, keep the walls where they are now. Regarding the screen placement, to answer that question is necessary to know how many rows you're planning and/or how many seats you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts