AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 60A2000 and am looking at getting an upconverting dvd player that upconverts to 1080p via hdmi (as the TV only accepts 1080p via hdmi).

I currently use an xbox360 hd dvd player for my hd dvds, and a panasonic xp30 for reg dvds. I also wonder if an upconverting dvd player will look much better than the xp30, since it is so highly rated in terms of standard def players.

Any advice and help is appreciated...

thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
708 Posts
Normally I would say they're not worth it.

I've demo'd nearly a dozen upconverting DVD players and none were as good as my HD-A2 in terms of upconversion.

However today I happened across the Pioneer Elite DV-46av and it's upconversion seems about on par with the HD-A2 which is regarded as having excellent upconversion abities.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoulos /forum/post/0

I have a Sony 60A2000 and am looking at getting an upconverting dvd player that upconverts to 1080p via hdmi (as the TV only accepts 1080p via hdmi).

I currently use an xbox360 hd dvd player for my hd dvds, and a panasonic xp30 for reg dvds. I also wonder if an upconverting dvd player will look much better than the xp30, since it is so highly rated in terms of standard def players.

Any advice and help is appreciated...

thanks,

Rob

Your XP30 does get good reviews, so I don't know if a newer 1080p player would be a big improvement. I am happy with my Oppo 981, but the difference between the 981 at 1080p and the 971 at 720p was very slight. I have a 37" LCD; the difference on a larger display like yours might be more visible.

-Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.