AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for a curved screen in 2.35:1 (or 2.37:1 or 2:40:1). I'm moving to a new house and setting up another HT there and want to go CIH. I've already ordered a JVC RS20 from AVS and used Prismasonic FE1500R for lens. I need a screen to match and want to go curved to help aleviate the pincushioning, light redirection and other benefits.

My 9' wide 16:9 HiPower and Pioneer PRO-FPJ1 will convey with the HT in my previous house. Hence, I'm very familiar with and like the HP. I'm leaning towards using similar screen gain but am open to suggestions there too.

My new HT room is narrow but as long (I have flexability there as I will be putting up a back wall and deck for second row of seats). The room will be completely light controlled. The screen can be no larger than 11' wide including the frame, although I might be able to squeeze in the largest Prismasonic (133.7 " wide). I settle this Friday and will finally be able to get back in and measure the exact width of the wall at that point.

I'm not sure if I'd go with their High Gain Silver (3x) material or just their frame and someone elses screen, perhaps DaLite HP material. Any suggestions on that front? Any experience with their textile backed high gain silver, especially compared to HiPower material?

At roughly $2200 US plus shipping, these Prismasonics are more than a Carada or DaLite HP, but certainly less than others. Any experiance with the HG Silver Prismasonics? How about using other material like HP? What else is available in curved 2.35 to 2.40 screen? That won't break the bank? Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello.

I'm exactly in the same situation, the same frame but I'm not sure with the surface screen. Which screen surface is better? ¿Dalite HP or Prismasonic?

And I don't know which format to choose. 2:35 or 2:37.

I will be expecting your answers.

Thank you.

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like Prismasonic only comes in 2.37:1, so if I go that route using their frame, then it's a moot point. Apparently, 2.37:1 is perfect match to their (all?) anomorphic lens. If I go with some other frame solution, I'll probably go with 2.40:1 and just mask for 2.35, 1.85, etc. I don't think it's that much of an issue between 2.35 to 2.40, kind of like 1.78 to 1.85.

As for screen material, I'm hoping other will chime in, especially those that have seen the Prismasonic HG Silver.

And I'd like to hear from anyone that gone with another solution that might be in a similar price range (which excludes SMX, Stewart, etc.). Anyone use a DaLite solution? Not sure if their Curved Series 200 frame is an option, but will talk to them on Monday. Too bad Carada doesn't have a curved solution. Their fixed flat screen prices and reviews are great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Steven. Before I continue, I apologize for my English. I'm from Spain.

I'm trying explain me so well. I forgoted to tell you that I have seen a silver screen of prismasonic in a 120" curve screen of Prismasonic too. my neighbour has that all things.

Sincely, I impressed the sensation of the curve screen... inmersion.

But there is a thing that I didnt like so much. It was the surface screen. It seems like clouds some times. I don't know how explain you very well but I didnt like. My friend has a JVC 750 with Prismasonic H5000, but the projector wasn't calibrated. The image was increible except for, some times, I thought that I was seeing some clouds in the screen and it was for the silver prismasonic. Really the contrast and colors were great but that clouds.

So I think I 'm going to buy a JVC 990, a Prismasonic len h5000R, the 140" frame of Prismasonic...... but I would like to hear some opinions between Dalite High Power or Prismasonic Silver.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am sorry to intervene but it is amazing how some of you spent a lot on the projector but then find Stewart and SMS expensive.

I am running an IN83 (Infocus) with the Prismasonic HD-5000R on a Stewart Cine-W (2.40 130" curved, Studiotek 130) and I don't regret a single day the purchase of the Stewart. I am so happy with it that I am going dual screen and bought a second 16:9 screen from Stewart (Cabaret) that is waiting on its box to be installed.

Just bear in mind that a screen is something you do not change all the time and it is an investment that might be worth it. Especially when we are talking about a curved screen where a more robust construction such as the ones from SMX and Stewart (aluminium) come to play.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salenko /forum/post/18309863

It was the surface screen. It seems like clouds some times.

Hotspotting?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JargonGR /forum/post/18311120

I am sorry to intervene but it is amazing how some of you spent a lot on the projector but then find Stewart and SMS expensive.

I am running an IN83 (Infocus) with the Prismasonic HD-5000R on a Stewart Cine-W (2.40 130" curved, Studiotek 130)...

It depends on what you consider "a lot". A quick search showed your screen to be around $5K. That's twice what I paid for my Pioneer FPJ1 new. It's also more than I just paid for an "open box" JVC RS20 and Prismasonic FE1500R combined. It's more than double the price of a Prismasonic screen and over 5x the cost of a Carada flat screen. Those will last just as long.

It is amazing to me how some of you spend a lot on the screen...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
stevenjw -- Two things to consider are: (1) a good screen will last for over 10 years, and (2) check on the cost of a Stewart screen through the AVS Store. That will level the playing field somewhat. Also, Stewart has a very good support policy, whereas the other manufacturers do not (except for Carada).

Just because you got a "good deal" on your PJ combo, still doesn't effect the relative costs, if you are just comparing MSRP pricing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't look for the best deal for your budget, but just don't dismiss the quality and value of a good Stewart screen offhand.

salenko -- Don't worry about your English. We understand difficulties for non-native languages (at least I do).

It does sound like the Prismasonic Silver screen does have some "hotspotting" (the "clouds"). This is a possible problem with silver screens and a curved one can be worse since it can focus the overly bright areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your opinion, CT_Wiebe.

To be honest, I love SMX ProCurve Screen

But is the price justified? I don't know. It is true that investment is on the screen for a long time but it seems very expensive. Now, if you say I will win in image quality as one might think.

The Stewart screen is 2:40 and the SMX is 2:35. So I like the Prismasonic because it's 2:37.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You can get the SMX in ANY ratio. 2.35:1, 2.37:1, or 2.4:1, etc. It's your choice.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/18313077

stevenjw -- Two things to consider are: (1) a good screen will last for over 10 years, and (2) check on the cost of a Stewart screen through the AVS Store. That will level the playing field somewhat. Also, Stewart has a very good support policy, whereas the other manufacturers do not (except for Carada).

Just because you got a "good deal" on your PJ combo, still doesn't effect the relative costs, if you are just comparing MSRP pricing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't look for the best deal for your budget, but just don't dismiss the quality and value of a good Stewart screen offhand.

I understand that the screen will likely be a one time purchase (at 55, that's even more certain). Still, I do look for the best value (price/performance) in all my A/V purchases. So, I'm looking for a "good deal" on a screen too. I'm not dismissing the more expensive screens, especially the screen material. I'm in communication with Jason and will get their pricing on screens including Stewart. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the pricing of a Carada verses Stewart and see that something doesn't compute. Then again, you wouldn't catch me buying a Sim either over a JVC at such a substantial price difference. I work too hard to spend unwisely (at 55, I still hope to retire someday.)

I was interested in the Prismasonic because you can also buy the frame without screen material and use any other you like. Pretty sure you can buy HP material from DaLite and others. Not sure about Stewart or SMX. I do like the HiPower, so would like to hear more from others that have seen it AND the Prismasonic High-gain-silver.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hear you on this one, I have been interested in doing an acoustically transparent curved 2.37 screen. My hang up with the Prismasonic was that the cross members behind the screen on the left and right side may sit in front of my speakers drivers. Where as the SMX and Stewart frames were completely open behind the screen material. This kinda makes me lean back towards SMX. If your not looking at going acoustically transparent but rather hipower, than the Prismasonic at least looks like a well made frame, and down the road you could change out the fabric on it from someone like Dalite if you weren't happy. Now for me, I wish Seymour AV would build a curved screen frame as I really like their acoustically transparent fabric given the price.

Now I'm just curious why you guys are leaning towards the high gain? Even at that size, your new enroute JVC should do okay (well at least till your bulb ages significantly).

Oh, and not to hijack this thread in a totally other direction but I'm curious if down the road say you or I ever upgrade to a 3D capable projector how does screen material come in to play with viewing that type of stuff? I heard somewhere that theaters need the more silver material to do it well. What is the best option to future proof yourself for the best possible performance with 3D say five years down the road from now? Maybe then Hi gain is the best option now (for me too, maybe I should ditch my acoustic transparent aspirations)?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Or build your screen. I have built a few and used Dalite and Seymour AV material in my own 120" wide 2.40 screen. All aluminum frame no supports to get in the way....You should have plenty brightness to not need a high power.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well 3D really isn't finalized for the front projector market yet. I've been following some of the threads and am factoring in the Silver screen into the equation. I'm pretty sure that the extra gain of the Silver is need to compensate for the light lose of 3D implementation, but I guess that depends on how it's done. I'm no expert on the subject by any stretch, but do think that the 3x high gain silver by Prismasonic couldn't hurt in that regard.

As for DIY, that's a lot easier to do with a flat screen than curved. My thinking is that by the time I build a large 11' wide 2.37:1 screen and get it right, I might as well buy a Prismasonic. But that's why I'm still in the planning stages...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would love to hear your impressions if you chose the Prismasonic frame along with what ever screen material you finally choose. As far as my acoustically transparent screen hopes, I think with the smaller size of my front speakers means that the cross member on the frame won't be an issue for me. So the Prismasonic frame is looking attractive again.

Oh and I had to add that it appears that Elite screens just introduced the Lunette series of fixed frame curved screens and you can see it here: http://www.elitescreen.com/index.php...mid=20&lang=en . I haven't seen them at any online retailers or any discussion of them on the forum yet. Might be an option if your looking for value but are willing to do something other than a Hi-power like material.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate /forum/post/18383312

Would love to hear your impressions if you chose the Prismasonic frame along with what ever screen material you finally choose. As far as my acoustically transparent screen hopes, I think with the smaller size of my front speakers means that the cross member on the frame won't be an issue for me. So the Prismasonic frame is looking attractive again.

Oh and I had to add that it appears that Elite screens just introduced the Lunette series of fixed frame curved screens and you can see it here: http://www.elitescreen.com/index.php...mid=20&lang=en . I haven't seen them at any online retailers or any discussion of them on the forum yet. Might be an option if your looking for value but are willing to do something other than a Hi-power like material.

A check google search on Curve235-138W (the size I'm looking for) produced a good site for pricing on those Elite screens. It's over $2K and not sure about shipping costs. That's a little less than the Prismasonic and their shipping is probably more too. I also got a good quote from AVS on the Stewart Cine-W which is a quality product but substantially more money in comparison to the Elite or Prismasonic.

Instead, I opted to pick up a used BW Carada 136" Diagonal Precision Series Projection Screen - 2.35:1 off of AVS classifieds for $500. That's about half price for a new one after s&h and a LOT cheaper than any of the curved screen options. I figure that I can always turn around and sell it again if I find the pincushion really annoying and go with a curve screen.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salenko /forum/post/18313181

Thanks for your opinion, CT_Wiebe.

To be honest, I love SMX ProCurve Screen

But is the price justified? I don't know. It is true that investment is on the screen for a long time but it seems very expensive. Now, if you say I will win in image quality as one might think.

The Stewart screen is 2:40 and the SMX is 2:35. So I like the Prismasonic because it's 2:37.

We have a bunch of SMX ProCurv's on clearance (overstock). Check out the "Screen" Forum or give me a shout...they are VERY discounted as compared to normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts