AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My family just bought a Sony KV-32HS510, and we're looking for a new DVD player. We currently have a Mitsubishi DD-2000; it's an early DVD player, with extremely basic capabilities, and is about 3 years old (I believe). We're looking to spend no more than about $250 on a DVD player. I assume we would want progressive scan? Other people in my family would like the ability to play MP3s of backed-up records on it, and I would like the ability to play DivX and XviD files (although this isn't a requirement). Also, would we want to get a player with DVI out, allowing us to skip the digital->analog->digital conversion? Even better would be the ability to stream files off a network, although I can't expect it from one of this price (Linux support would be a plus). Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yeah, for $250 or less that is your best option.

Tiger

·
Banned
604 Posts
Great comments, guys....What do you think about the Sony NS-755 or it's successor (not sure if the Sony was discontinued; shouldn't have been, was reviewed by HT only 1 year ago). It goes for about $250 (or did).

What about if one is willing to go the mid-$300's or thereabouts -- can you get anything appreciabely better than the NS-755 or the DD-8040? Or do you need to take it up to $500 (or more?)?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrdium
Hello! My family just bought a Sony KV-32HS510, and we're looking for a new DVD player. We currently have a Mitsubishi DD-2000; it's an early DVD player, with extremely basic capabilities, and is about 3 years old (I believe). We're looking to spend no more than about $250 on a DVD player. I assume we would want progressive scan? Other people in my family would like the ability to play MP3s of backed-up records on it, and I would like the ability to play DivX and XviD files (although this isn't a requirement). Also, would we want to get a player with DVI out, allowing us to skip the digital->analog->digital conversion? Even better would be the ability to stream files off a network, although I can't expect it from one of this price (Linux support would be a plus). Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
if looking for divx/xvid option, ebuyer.com (UK) now has Yamada/UMAX 6100(a highly rated ESS-Vibrato-based player) for only 67 British Pounds; I am not sure what the delevery charge to the US would be.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Avoid the Sonys - they have terrible de-interlacing that can't compare to a Faroudja-based player. At $300-$400 you can go for a Denon DVD-910 or DVD-1200 Faroudja-based model or find the top-rated Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 on EBAY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of those players have DVI out... Given that our TV can take DVI inputs, shouldn't we get a DVD player that can output DVI? Or is it not worth it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.