AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,


I need a decent all-purpose sound system for my new condo.


My plan is to start with a pair of full-range towers and a receiver (leaning towards a Yamaha HTR5063, but open to suggestions), then add the center, surround and maybe sub channels later.


Accurate uncoloured reproduction is most important to me. I listen to a variety of styles, mostly experimental rock and electronica.


What do you suggest for a nice set of towers? I'd like to spend under $1500, but quality is more important to me than price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I want to avoid boominess, but i'm not going to spend a ton of money trying to keep that line flat at all costs. Just want some good quality towers that don't add a lot of colour. A sub will probably be added eventually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie1978 /forum/post/19525089


well I want to avoid boominess, but i'm not going to spend a ton of money trying to keep that line flat at all costs. Just want some good quality towers that don't add a lot of colour. A sub will probably be added eventually.

I have a couple of pairs of Sendor speakers, they seem to produce the type of sound you describe. Take a look at these S5e towers, here and here .


On the small side for towers and extend down to 50Hz.

Stereophile Review
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie1978 /forum/post/19525089


well I want to avoid boominess, but i'm not going to spend a ton of money trying to keep that line flat at all costs. Just want some good quality towers that don't add a lot of colour. A sub will probably be added eventually.

A good speaker will roll off after if falls from flat: so boomy should not be a problem.


At $1500 for two, new, there's a good deal. the one I'm closest to experienced with (and therefore will make a positive comment on) would be the Paradigm Studio 60's. I believe the middle of the B&W CM line is priced about there (I very much enjoyed the CM6's I've listened to: though they do want a subwoofer).


In the used market: The B&W 801 Series 2 sells for $1k - $2k and is impressively flat. I have a pair of those and they are an impressive speaker.


There are many options: but there's two suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts
I always though B&W voiced their speakers with a bump in the bass. I have never seen a flat response measurement on them but who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/19525171


I have a couple of pairs of Sendor speakers, they seem to produce the type of sound you describe. Take a look at these S5e towers, here and here .


On the small side for towers and extend down to 50Hz.

Stereophile Review

The Spendors would be anything but boomy. They would be a good choice too.


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie1978 /forum/post/19524973


Hi everyone,


I need a decent all-purpose sound system for my new condo.


My plan is to start with a pair of full-range towers and a receiver (leaning towards a Yamaha HTR5063, but open to suggestions), then add the center, surround and maybe sub channels later.


Accurate uncoloured reproduction is most important to me. I listen to a variety of styles, mostly experimental rock and electronica.


What do you suggest for a nice set of towers? I'd like to spend under $1500, but quality is more important to me than price.

A couple of disclaimers before recommendations. All speakers, even the best, color the sound. Flat anechoic frequency response does not guarantee an uncolored sound. "Boominess" can happen with the best speakers if they are not placed properly, and may be unavoidable depending on your room dimensions and listening position.


With that said, here are a couple of solid choices to consider.


These are $300 over of your price range, but they have very sound engineering behind them, and they sound as good as they measure-- the NHT Classic 4's. $1800 / pair

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/1206nht34/


Googled and found them for $1500 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/NHT-Classic-Fo.../dp/B001763LWU


Or Revel Concerta. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706revel/ $1500 / pair
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
I second and NHTs and Revels.


Also check out Infinity Primus 362s if you're willing to do some modwork. They've got excellent crossovers and drivers but somewhat shoddy build quality makes them dirt cheap (~$3-400). Improve the box and you'll have an impressive speaker. Infinity and Revel IMO are an interchangable brand. The only difference between the two is the target audience... it's all the same technology.


I also recommend looking into the EMP tek e55tis, RBH MC-6CT, Salk Songtowers, JTR Triple 8s, and the new upcoming Ascend Towers. All rather neutral speakers.


Also consider a pair of Focal CMS-65s. Not for a poorly treated room and not towers, but they'll definitely be an option worth looking at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
A good AVR with audessy room correction can do alot for eqing to flat response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
You might want to check out Jamo C 803, or others in 80 series. PSB T5, T6 are very flat too. PSB claims +/- 1.5db from 40Hz up, 30 degree off axis. A couple reviews I read showed that those numbers are not too far off.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top