AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hunting on ebay for quality used receivers and was wondering about suggestions for particular models to search out.

I'm trying to score something under $75. That meets the following characteristics:

5.1 channels, DTS

90W+ per channel

Very well reviewed in its time.

I've been able to come up with a few that meet these qualifications and price:

Sony STR-DE845

Pioneer VSX-409

Onkyo TX-DS484 (lower wattage, but apparently has plenty of power).

Any other suggestions for receivers I should keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/16952227

I'm hunting on ebay for quality used receivers and was wondering about suggestions for particular models to search out.

I'm trying to score something under $75. That meets the following characteristics:

5.1 channels, DTS

90W+ per channel

Very well reviewed in its time.

I've been able to come up with a few that meet these qualifications and price:

Sony STR-DE845

Pioneer VSX-409

Onkyo TX-DS484 (lower wattage, but apparently has plenty of power).

Any other suggestions for receivers I should keep an eye out for?

good timing.. i just bought a yamaha rx-v995 and it meets all that criteria. it has the most reviews of any receiver on audioreview.com.

lots of folks love this receiver i just started a thread on it recently even though it is 10 years old...

i dont think any of them have been less than 115 dollars on ebay though...good luck with it...

·
Registered
210 Posts
How about a Denon AVR-3300. Again, not sure you'll find it for $75, though.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/16952907

Thanks for the suggestions so far. $75 isn't a hard limit, so I'll definitely check those ideas out.

Don't worry about minor differences in power. You have to double the power to get a noticeable increase in the volume. So say 75 wpc vs 90 wpc is essentially unnoticeable.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/16953082

Don't worry about minor differences in power. You have to double the power to get a noticeable increase in the volume. So say 75 wpc vs 90 wpc is essentially unnoticeable.

well from what i can tell.. a measuring of power is similar to contrast ratios. if you stay within a manufacturers line you know they are pretty constant reliable measurements because they 'probably' 'more than likely' 'should' measure the same on all the equipment.

it is when you jump manufacture's that you run into the slight differences that could make a difference.. ie measuring one channel vs measuring watts at all channels...

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
I've got a 2001 Sherwood Newcastle R-956 that I'm looking to sell. Not for $75 though. PM if interested or you need specs. Its a 38lb beast, not a lightweight entry level receiver.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
I sold an HK 520 to my sister and bro in law. Wish I hadn't but there it is. You can get one on ebay for around $100 or so. Has plenty of power and comes with direct preamp out and direct input should you want an external amp or add another preamp. Very versatile receiver. I'm sure there are others as well.

·
Registered
733 Posts
One of the best 5.1 receivers I have ever owned (still do) is the Sony DA777ES model. Incredible amp section, unlike any other Sony I have heard. If you can find one, you will not be disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.