AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was hoping for some suggestions on a HT setup. I've had an Onkyo HTIB setup for about 5 years now and it's worked just fine.

Looking to upgrade now, to a separate receiver and speakers.

Budget is around $1,000 and I'd need the receive and 5 speakers. I have a decent sub that came with the Onkyo system, can this be reused?

The one requirement that would be ideal is for wireless rear speakers, is this even possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the sub is powered, yes. Otherwise, no.

Personally, I'd look in the $400 range of amps from Denon (sound quality + Wattage), Marantz (size + sound quality), and Onkyo (networking features) and use the rest on speakers.

Then, set of Energy RC-10's for fronts ($300), two CB-5's for rears ($180 or less on ebay), one CC-5 for center ($99), all from Vanns atm. If you want to save some money in case you need a new sub, switch to CB-20's for fronts ($200) or CB-10's ($150) for fronts.

Some of last year's Sony models have the ability to support wireless rears but you have to buy additional components and sony seems to have stopped making them. Plus those receivers are down on features compared to same priced receivers from other brands. Current Sonys are better on features, but they've all dropped support for wireless rears.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wireless rear speakers are possible but it is probably not the ideal solution But they are probably better than an HTIB. Here are a few to look at.

Polk F/X Wireless Surround Speaker (a single SS speaker solution).

JBL WEM-1

Acoustic Research ARW20

Rocketfish also makes a couple versions. You can see most of the Rocketfish stuff at Best Buy.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
You should separate your budget for receiver speakers and sub.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Energy line mentioned above is a good start. Another consideration in your price range would be Polk (TSi100 $200/pr, CS10 or CSR center $150, and maybe M10 Surrounds at $180/pr). All prices are MSRP so you should be less.

I'm pretty picky about my stuff and have a lot of bucks invested but if I had to buy 5 high quality speakers (almost audiophile level) for $500, I'd just go buy 5 NHT Superzero 2.0's for $99 a piece.

As for receivers, everybody (and their brother) makes a $300-$400 receiver and most sound pretty bad to me. A lot of "features" but not a lot of sound quality plus they never deliver the promised watts per channel in 5 channel mode. One exception is Harmon Kardon where you really do get a pretty good sounding receiver for the money. I would look at the HK AVR1565 or 1650 ($400/$500 MSRP).

You should be able to put together a decent starter system for a grand, although the wireless piece could be a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar /forum/post/20881261

If the sub is powered, yes. Otherwise, no.

Personally, I'd look in the $400 range of amps from Denon (sound quality + Wattage), Marantz (size + sound quality), and Onkyo (networking features) and use the rest on speakers.

Then, set of Energy RC-10's for fronts ($300), two CB-5's for rears ($180 or less on ebay), one CC-5 for center ($99), all from Vanns atm. If you want to save some money in case you need a new sub, switch to CB-20's for fronts ($200) or CB-10's ($150) for fronts.

Some of last year's Sony models have the ability to support wireless rears but you have to buy additional components and sony seems to have stopped making them. Plus those receivers are down on features compared to same priced receivers from other brands. Current Sonys are better on features, but they've all dropped support for wireless rears.

What is Vann's atm? www.vanns.com? The prices seem higher that what you have listed.

Might be easier to pick up some of this stuff at best buy, looks like they carry energy speakers. Any suggestions based on what they carry?

I've had pretty good luck with the Onkyo receivers so far.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 /forum/post/20880388

Hi all,

I was hoping for some suggestions on a HT setup. I've had an Onkyo HTIB setup for about 5 years now and it's worked just fine.Looking to upgrade now, to a separate receiver and speakers.

Budget is around $1,000 and I'd need the receive and 5 speakers. I have a decent sub that came with the Onkyo system, can this be reused?

The one requirement that would be ideal is for wireless rear speakers, is this even possible?

Yep... its very possible. I had very similar requirements. In fact I even had an old sub. In my research I soon discovered I should forget about getting another HTIB and that individual components is the only way to go. Granted the HTIB is plug and play and quick to set up but in the end you sacrifice quality sound for the convenience.

The limitation is your $1000 budget (I had the same budget) I was encouraged to research close out models. (last years model marked down because the new year model is out) Anyway, I did a TON of research over several weeks and settled on the Yamaha RX-V867 . Its last years $999 receiver but is being closed out. If you are a Newegg-subscriber every other week or so they will send out a coupon code and you can get the amp for $399 delivered. FYI: THe RX-V867 Has its own thread here in this forum.

For speakers (and after much advice) I went with the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Speaker System I wasn't familiar with then but I couldn't ignore all the 5 star reviews. Don't let others discourage you against getting book shelf speakers. Yes floor standing speakers costing much more will sound better but don't forget your budget. NET: You want the best sound you can get within the constraints of our budget and the Take Classic 5.1 will fill the bill. My theater area is 16 x 25 and they sound Great!

NOTE: The other cool thing about the Yamaha RX-V867 is it has "TWO" sub outputs. (It will drive two subs! ) I put the Energy sub in the front of the room and my old sub in the back of my theater room. Having two subs can really make a difference.

Last... you mentioned a requirement for wireless rear speakers. Be aware wireless rear speakers are not really wireless. You have the power cord that powers the receiver as well as the wires that run from the receiver to each speaker. The only thing wireless rear speakers eliminates is the wire that runs from the receiver to the back of the room where your speakers are. If you can run wires under the house or through the attic thats great, but not everyone can. In that case wireless fits the bill. The energy Classics are not wireless BUT the good news is you can buy adapter kits that can make any rear speakers wireless for less than $200 bucks. Like this JBL WEM-1 I didn't research wireless adapters so be sure to shop around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway /forum/post/20884254

Yep... its very possible. I had very similar requirements. In fact I even had an old sub. In my research I soon discovered I should forget about getting another HTIB and that individual components is the only way to go. Granted the HTIB is plug and play and quick to set up but in the end you sacrifice quality sound for the convenience.

The limitation is your $1000 budget (I had the same budget) I was encouraged to research close out models. (last years model marked down because the new year model is out) Anyway, I did a TON of research over several weeks and settled on the Yamaha RX-V867 . Its last years $999 receiver but is being closed out. If you are a Newegg-subscriber every other week or so they will send out a coupon code and you can get the amp for $399 delivered. FYI: THe RX-V867 Has its own thread here in this forum.

For speakers (and after much advice) I went with the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Speaker System I wasn't familiar with then but I couldn't ignore all the 5 star reviews. Don't let others discourage you against getting book shelf speakers. Yes floor standing speakers costing much more will sound better but don't forget your budget. NET: You want the best sound you can get within the constraints of our budget and the Take Classic 5.1 will fill the bill. My theater area is 16 x 25 and they sound Great!

NOTE: The other cool thing about the Yamaha RX-V867 is it has "TWO" sub outputs. (It will drive two subs! ) I put the Energy sub in the front of the room and my old sub in the back of my theater room. Having two subs can really make a difference.

Last... you mentioned a requirement for wireless rear speakers. Be aware wireless rear speakers are not really wireless. You have the power cord that powers the receiver as well as the wires that run from the receiver to each speaker. The only thing wireless rear speakers eliminates is the wire that runs from the receiver to the back of the room where your speakers are. If you can run wires under the house or through the attic thats great, but not everyone can. In that case wireless fits the bill. The energy Classics are not wireless BUT the good news is you can buy adapter kits that can make any rear speakers wireless for less than $200 bucks. Like this JBL WEM-1 I didn't research wireless adapters so be sure to shop around.

Thanks. The Take Classic 5.1 sounds like an interesting choice. Or would I still be better off going with seperate speaker choices?

Is it better to invest in the more expensive AMP?

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 /forum/post/20885011

Thanks. The Take Classic 5.1 sounds like an interesting choice. Or would I still be better off going with seperate speaker choices?

Well... the answer comes back to your original budget limitation.

The Energy grouping suggested by der_kommissar is a very nice setup... but to get those prices... you'll have to shop around, possibly buying them individually based on price and availability and maybe even having to take your chances with eBay-sellers. The nice thing about the Take Classic 5.1's is they are new, attractively priced, and are an impedance matched set so they are just plug and play. If you have the time and energy to assemble the grouping suggested by der_kommissar you certainly won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 /forum/post/20885011

Is it better to invest in the more expensive AMP?

hmmm... sorry... not sure when when you say a more expensive amp... if you are saying more expensive than the Yamaha RX-V867. Don't forget the 867 was $999 when introduced. It can now be found as low as $399. You will not be able to find any "new" model receiver for less than $600 that will come anywhere near the RX-V867. Other sweet discontinued receivers if you can still find them are the Denon AVR-1911 or AVR-3311CI.

If by your question you mean is it better to invest in more expensive AMP than in more expensive speakers the answer is "No"

An unwritten Rule of Thumb is you should try to maintain a price ratio between AV speakers and receiver of 3:1. (i.e., spend 3 times as much on the speakers as you do the receiver) Obviously my recommendation of the Yamaha 867 with Energy Classic 5.1 speakers does not fit the ratio. But then again I had a budget constraint and couldn't be more pleased with the result.

NET: If you have extra money to spend its always better to put it into the your speakers. After all its the speakers that you'll be listening to and not the receiver.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Although, you might not like the HTIB approach for $1k the Onkyo HT-9400THX is tough to beat. The LCR speakers with two 5" woofers will have more bass extension than one 3" woofer included with the Take 5 system. And the 12" sub will go lower and have more output than the 8" sub.

At the moment there are some great deals on last years receivers as the new models are coming out but unless size of speaker is a limitation I'd look for more capable speakers or consider the Onkyo system.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 /forum/post/20880388

Hi all,

I was hoping for some suggestions on a HT setup. I've had an Onkyo HTIB setup for about 5 years now and it's worked just fine.

Looking to upgrade now, to a separate receiver and speakers.

Thanks!

How big is your room? What percentage of what do you listen too? Any space or other physical considerations? Do you want any special features on the receiver like multi-zone, iPod connectivity, etc?

Are you willing to buy part of a system and upgrade later? You said your Onkyo sub is powered, but how attached to using it are you? Also, how firm is your budget?

These are important questions to be answered before you start seriously considering any system.

Also, why do you want wireless and really, how badly do you want it?

We really need to know more about your needs and wants.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 /forum/post/20887026

How big is your room? What percentage of what do you listen too? Any space or other physical considerations? Do you want any special features on the receiver like multi-zone, iPod connectivity, etc?

Are you willing to buy part of a system and upgrade later? You said your Onkyo sub is powered, but how attached to using it are you? Also, how firm is your budget?

These are important questions to be answered before you start seriously considering any system.

Also, why do you want wireless and really, how badly do you want it?

We really need to know more about your needs and wants.

The room is fairly big with high ceilings.

I think I've decided against wireless and will just run the cables along the side of the wall, possibly getting something to hide them.

I'm not really attached to the sub, it was included in my original HTIB from Onkyo that I bought about 6 years ago, so probably best to replace it.

Apple Airplay would be nice, but I don't need things like Netflix / pandora etc. as I can just stream that from either the Xbox or the iphone.

I mostly use the systems for some music, games and TV/movies.

I do currently live in an apartment building so I won't really ever be "cracking" the sound.

I think what I may do is go with the 5.1 Energy Speaker package, then use the rest on the receiver, with the thought being that once I move out of the apartment into a house, I can then purchase more expensive speakers when I have the opportuning to crank the volume a bit.

So let's say that I'm going to spend $400 on the speaker package from Energy.

That leaves around $400-$500 for the receiver, so any suggestions on a good receiver in that range would help!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
You may want to look at buying the speakers used. Speakers don't wear out like receivers do. As long as the speakers aren't blown, they should work as if they're new. Plus speaker technology never changes, so it's not like you have to give up features by not buying the latest models. You can typically save about 50% buying used. I would avoid buying a used sub since they have an amp which can degrade with age.

Just because your onkyo receiver you bought 5-6 years ago has lasted, don't assume a new onkyo will. Onkyo has had a lot of reliability issues the last few years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.