AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm sure this is like the 100,000th "help me pick an LCD" thread and I am sorry about that... but if you read this far I assume you'll humor me a little.

Basically, I had pretty much picked this set:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1208562169727

But of course... after reading a few posts here and getting a little more educated on the 120hz thing... I'm not so sure I need to be spending the extra money for 120hz. ((basically, I've been reading that it's not that big of a deal right now as it's only the refresh rate and not "true 120hz image processing?... am I reading this right or understanding it correctly and it seems it more of a waste of money at this point?))

Here's the deal... this TV I'll be getting will be used in the master bedroom for general HD cable, some HD OTA, DVD (and spare HD-DVD) viewing and a HTPC (I guess in this case an "MBPC" (master bedroom PC) and maybe some light gaming on older systems like PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

So I guess my main questions (beyond what TV would you get for the bedroom) are:

Is 120hz all it's cracked up to be?

and how much will I notice 1080p vs 720p on a 40"-50" display?

Again, sorry if this is asked all the time... I'm really more of a DLP person and hang out in that section a lot more than here.

Oh and the last trick... it has to be a TV available at BB due to a few things I won't go into.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
120Hz importance is relative to the individual --- LG will demo 240-480Hz panels at CES in a week or so - that debuts in the second half 09 .

1080P on a 40"> panel is important IMO and I see absolutely no reason to bother with 720P today as the price differential is minimal when your gaining 1.5 times the number of pixels and added pixel fill can never be a bad thing.

I can see the difference easily and if you want to get further educated on 1080P read the five part article in my signature block.

Were I choosing a panel I'd shoot for the Samsung 750 which I find a notch ahead of the LG70 (and all others at BB) though the LG is now a good performer up on the wall at BB. Of course I would not buy either at BB unless I had to have return rights as I can save a bundle going internet if one knows for sure what you want.

I don't have 120Hz on my 57" Sharp as it wasn't out yet then but were I buying today I would go with a 120Hz panel most likely if it were a main viewing room panel. If your sticking with BB I'd bargain them down further or at least try - the offered discount seems rather trivial. Perhaps they'll throw in an extended warranty. Bargain or get prices from CC and Sears to see if they'll match.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, good suggestions all around.

Yeah, it won't be my main display and more just for bedroom viewing from the bed. My main display is a Sammy 67" LED DLP wich works very well for my main screen in the living room.

I know the BB prices are pretty crappy and I do plan to try to get them to bring the final choice down in price but the main reasons I'm going with BB are the 3yrs no interest on my BB card wich makes this purchase a bit easier (I know the pit falls of the interest if it's not paid off in those three years too). Also the benefit of brick/mortar for returning a possible dead pixel display is also appealing.

I forgot about CC and Sears (don't have any in my city) so I'll have to see what their prices are too to help my dealing at BB.

Since the faster sets are coming out soon maybe I'll just save some money now and wait... then send the 60hz TV into the guest bedroom when I upgrade the bedroom TV.

I'll go 1080p then as well... I just wasn't sure how much I'd see on a 42" set from a 10-15ft distance was all. I remember seeing a chart that had a breakdown of distance but you're right.... the prices aren't that drastic on 720p vs 1080p so I might as well get 1080p... but the prices of 60hz vs 120hz are bit more up there.

If I don't go 120hz.... is there a pixel response time I should be looking for... last I remember was that 8ms or less should be about equal to 120hz... or am I making things up now??

Thanks again,

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to say I'd like to keep the TV $1500 or less... prefer sub $1000 as... really, it's just a bedroom TV and it will probably migrate over to a "guest" TV in a few years.

Any thoughts on this set? I'm checking for reviews now...

Sammy LN46A500

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218015167704

·
Registered
89 Posts
All I can add is that when a 120 Hz set is displayed along with a passle of others it always stands out. I realize that some tweaking by salesclerks could be responsible but most of them aren't that savvy.

I would like my next set to be 120 Hz but then that extra $300-400 always gives me pause.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I've been trying to figure out... if 120hz is worth the extra $400 premium. I'm starting to think at this point it isn't.... at least for me. Since really I'm just buying a bedroom TV and it won't be my main display.

It seems as long as I get a fast pixel repsonse time (8ms or less) in general I should be good.

Now, if this was going to be my main display I think 120hz would be nice to have, unless you could wait for the 240-480hz sets.

I think I just need to find a good 60hz with 1080p at BB so if anyone has any suggestions for a good set in the 40"+ range for less than $1500 I'm all ears.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am in the same boat and a bit perplexed as to what to do on the 120Hz or not. I'm trying to replace a 14 year old 27" Mitsubishi tube in my bedroom (still working, just very old school) with a 37" - 42" LCD.

I keep reading different people complaining about the "soap opera" effect of some 120Hz implementations (or am I confused about that
) and many reviewers saying you'll want to disable this feature except for sports watching. Factoring that uncertainty into the fact that a non-120Hz set can be had for hundreds less, I'm not sure what to do.

So here I sit, still watching my Mitsubishi. Fortunately I can take forever to make a decision as prices and products keep getting better.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 /forum/post/15421679

I am in the same boat and a bit perplexed as to what to do on the 120Hz or not. I'm trying to replace a 14 year old 27" Mitsubishi tube in my bedroom (still working, just very old school) with a 37" - 42" LCD.

I keep reading different people complaining about the "soap opera" effect of some 120Hz implementations (or am I confused about that
) and many reviewers saying you'll want to disable this feature except for sports watching. Factoring that uncertainty into the fact that a non-120Hz set can be had for hundreds less, I'm not sure what to do.

So here I sit, still watching my Mitsubishi. Fortunately I can take forever to make a decision as prices and products keep getting better.

It's not the 120Hz that causes the "soap opera" effect. It's the AMP, MotionFlow, or whatever the various manufacturers call their motion enhancers. 120Hz can't be turned on or off, just like 60Hz can't be turned on or off, that is unless you turn off the entire TV.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it seems to be a tough call... but think about it this way...

(I'm assuming) that most if not all 120hz displays must not be the end all beat all must have things as even the super-techies here are split between 60hz and 120hz.

Also from what I've been reading (for me anyway) it seems that 120hz will be wasted or make things worse for my viewing. I really don't watch sports other than football.... but I do like to watch movies (own over 600 on DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) and I prefer the "movie look" over the "video look"... but again, most of that viewing is going to be on my main living room display and not my bedroom set.

That's personal preference though.... if you prefer the "video look" and you won't be buying another TV set for a while.... you might want to get 120hz.... but as you said if you're willing to wait and can wait for a just a bit longer... you might be rewarded with 240hz or even 480hz TVs in the next six months or so.

I guess my question for you would be this....

...are you better off upgrading your bedroom TV?... or upgrading your main living room TV and then taking your current living room TV and putting into your bedroom?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15421759

It's not the 120Hz that causes the "soap opera" effect. It's the AMP, MotionFlow, or whatever the various manufacturers call their motion enhancers. 120Hz can't be turned on or off, just like 60Hz can't be turned on or off, that is unless you turn off the entire TV.

...then am I right or wrong about the "movie look" vs the "video look"... is it the same thing?

Then I have to ask what's the difference between just a faster pixel like 8ms vs 2ms versus a faster "refresh" 120hz.

I admit though... I'm a bit tired and have been reading LCD info for the last 5 hours so things might be starting to blur together.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The "movie look" is 24fps film. The "video look" (or "soap opera effect") is usually anything that was filmed 30fps and up. The motion processing of the 120hz sets takes the source and creates new frames in between the originals to give the look of high fps video.

The second benefit to 120hz is 5:5 pulldown. You can output your Blu-Ray or HD DVDs at 24p and it will display each frame 5 times. On a 60hz set the TV has to do a 3:2 pulldown. This causes judder because one frame is displayed 3 times and the next is displayed twice.

Not all 120hz displays do 5:5 pulldown though. Many of the early sets and still some bargain brands do 3:2 pulldown twice rather than 5:5.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic /forum/post/15421769

...are you better off upgrading your bedroom TV?... or upgrading your main living room TV and then taking your current living room TV and putting into your bedroom?

I live in a condo with limited space. I'm about 10.5' from my main living room set and have a 4.5 year old Sony 34" HDTV tube (205lb. monstrosity that I paid too much for, failed 6 months ago - DIY repair means I'm keeping it until it dies again). Sadly this TV is too large to be relegated to my bedroom. I did just purchase a PS3 for it since it does do 1080i through HDMI, and it does still have a pretty excellent picture since it's a CRT.

So, I can upgrade my bedroom TV or not. More than likely I will watch movies through the PS3 in my LR since it will upconvert (though I do have an upconverting DVD player to put in bedroom) and will mostly watch Comcast HDTV in my bedroom and their boxes only do 1080i anyway.

I can pay cash for any TV I want today, but I hate paying more than I have to at BB when I can order for much cheaper and free shipping from Amazon. I may print out some of the TV's I like from Amazon and go haggle at BB to see if they're willing to budge on an XBR6 or LNXXA650. I was over there a couple of days ago and a Panasonic rep told me that I should haggle, that they really wanted rid of as many 2008 models as 2009 models are incoming.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's a suggestion TV for you man... Samsung LN32A450

This TV has great reviews and I know a guy that is in love with his. It has a native resolution of 1,366x768, which is perfectly fine, because a higher resolution such as 1080p is completely wasted at a 32in. screen size. I plan on buying this for my bedroom as well as it looks plenty bit. It is quite a bit cheaper than the one you were looking at and there is no need for the 120hz refreash rate because of it's size.

Just a thought ----> may not need that 46in. TV

·
Registered
16,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.kimm /forum/post/15422628

Here's a suggestion TV for you man... Samsung LN32A450

The best 32" 720p displays are the Samsung 450 and the Panny TC-32LX85, although the latter is $100-$200 less than making it the better deal. In larger displays 1080p, I'd still stick with Samsung, Panny, or Sony.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the replies....

we ended up going with the 42LG50 at BB:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649424425

when we bought it a few days ago Amazon was selling it for more, but now they're cheaper so maybe I'll print off the page and speak with BB.... but really, I don't care too much that I spent about $100 more as I got the 3ys no interest as well... and since we paid most of it down we've only got to pay like $400 over 3 years.

So far we like it.... it didn't break the bank and some of the more "advanced" features aren't their, but we don't care as it's just for our bedroom. There's maybe a little TBE but it's not really noticeable. We watched some HD football and were looking for TBE and couldn't really see it. From the specs the set has 6.5ms repsonse so that's probably helping some.

For a main TV I'd give it between a B- or C+ based on what's out there now... but for a bedroom TV for some casual viewing I'd give it between an A- and B+

·
Registered
549 Posts
I recommend a toshiba xv545 it has the ability to upscale SD to near HD and this is possible thanks to SRT which is proprietary technology and only for toshiba's it also has a 14bit processor 120hrz 1080p and its $1399 at tigerdirect.com

Also this tv has a msrb $1799 so its a really good deal you should look into it toshiba rules.

·
Registered
29,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15423104

The best 32" 720p displays are the Samsung 450 and the Panny TC-32LX85, although the latter is $100-$200 less than making it the better deal. In larger displays 1080p, I'd still stick with Samsung, Panny, or Sony.

The 32" Samsung 450 and Panny LX85 can both be had for $499 if you're patient. I bought my Panny right after Thanksgiving online on ebay with the Microsoft live.com 30% cashback deal and the Samsung came on sale the following week at Sears for $499. Fry's has had the Sammy for $499 several times in the past two weeks. My net cost for the Panny will be $405 after I receive the cashback from Microsoft.

The Samsung has a faster refresh rate, a PC input and 3 HDMI/2 component inputs vs 3 HDMI/1 component on the Panny. I like my Panny because I won't be connecting a PC and I only have one device that uses component. Plus I think the Panny has better sound and it has a SD card slot. The speakers in the Samsung 450 point downward instead of to the front. Thats a drawback if you're not connecting to a receiver. This is a bedroom set for me so I don't always have the receiver on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally think the 120hz is for people that use their LCD as a PC/HTPC monitor a lot (especially for gaming). I have seen similar television with & without this feature and have not noticed a difference. Not sure if this is important to you though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.