AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screen size will be small at 64" wide maximum for 73" diagonal and I will sit at least 2x or farther away so worse screen door than ae100 might be tolerated. I just want to inquire about a baby step LCD projector to bring me into home theater from my 32" ntsc TV. I can't afford an ae100 right now but what USED LCD's should I look for? I can check around at high-schools and universities and see whats around :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi CPC,

Check out www.inland-av.com . They are Canadian and sell off surplus pj's. Hope this helps

·
Registered
164 Posts
look on ebay maybe

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for the advice. Any hints on which models to look for? Thanks :)

I checked out that link www.inland-av.com. Some looked kinda curious but most SVGA 800 x 600 with only one XGA. What kind of picture would I get with SVGA running a 16:9 DVD?

Looking at those things, there wasn't much of anything that is a good alternative to the ae100 from price japan. oh well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
cpc,

With your screen size and budget the best option is to go with a CRT, pm me and I will send you some information, or go to the CRT forum, it is definitelly doable to get a very decent unit that will fit you. Just make sure you buy from a reputable tech and know what you are getting into. You are obviously a dedicated hobbiyist judging by your number of posts.

If you are not interested in CRTs then you may want to see if you can find a used Davis, they are pretty good deals if you can find them. I would seriously recomend against buying a used presentation projector in your price range, these things are not really built to last and they probably need to have their expensive bulbs replaced.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, there is a guy on here who is practically the champion of inexpensive [ cheap ;) ] home theatre and he is using one of those right now. Can't remember but there was something about it that turned me off cause I was comparing to others, but its a great inexpensive alternative. Especially if I keep to a smaller screen and 2.0x or higher view distance. I check out the other options :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I live in the U.K.

I have a panasonic 100E on order. But I picked up a 3M8640 a few weeks back from a pal for about $700 with a spare lamp. These were originally very expensive and - an engineer friend of mine - told me they were made by Hitach and one of the most reliable machines ever. (there is one on e-bay U.K. now)

Anyway check this pick. (I have others I can show you that are a bit too large filewise to post here you can e-mail me direct on [email protected] .

Best: (p.S. this is a pic from a VCD on SVHS)

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is another 3M8640 screenshot.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiosity, where could I find a 3M8640??

thanks

:)

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any other ideas? I guess I'm looking for something around $1000.00 USD or less.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Trying to straddle a limited budget and the desire for a nice picture (doesn't need to be huge, my living room is small and would prefer a sharper image). I also plan to build my own screen, my friend did it on

his own system (had no money left after buying the projector) and for $100 he made his own and it looks GREAT.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there are no 3M 8640 on eBay anywhere, in the US, Canada, the UK or anywhere else for that matter. I tried. I'll keep trying and continue to check it out more later. Any other LCD projector suggestions?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Just buy an AE100 from Japan.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I know. I'm saving up for one..I have some, um, financial difficulties right now :(

...:cool: just trying to see if there's something else to play with in the meantime...:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Really? Well the lifspan of the bulbs has to be a consideration in this, and 5000 hours is the longest I have seen. Something to ponder.

Scott

PS - anyone ever built their own screen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.