AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new home and am considering splitting apart my current HT (L/R:B&W804 C:HTM2 LR/RR: B&W805). I am considering moving the 805's up front buying two replacement rears and taking the 804's for a 2 channel set up for music only on the main floor (HT to have a small dedicated room upstairs).

So my question would be what would be the minimum acceptable solution for powering the 804's in a two channel solution?

The speakers were bought during some good years so i really don't have scads of $$'s to spend on an optimum setup so considering the comprimise any suggestions, recommendations or experience would be appreciated. Budget is likely $1000-$1500.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Because all the Nautilaus are on the bright side, and many less expensive amps have that same characteristic, making it a exponential effect.

I am not a huge Sunfire fan, and myself like ATI's products more at that pricepoint, but sunfires are overly warm, and to me sometimes too much so, but coupled with a speaker that is a little bright, could be a natural match. ATI's are very neutral, but I have never heard one with a Nautilaus or Matrix line, so that is also something, and they do make several 2 channels and I see them used often.

They are a pretty easy speaker to drive, so I don't think you have to really consider power so much, but if you go below 120wpc, you could suffer from a hollowing effect if you are not running a sub, and that particular brand doesn't fancy high current to watt output.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have 804s in a dedicated two-channel set-up mated with a Classe' CAP-101 integrated amp. Rated at 100 wpc, it does great with the 804s. More than enough kick to keep the 804s humming. It also has preouts, so if you ever get the dough, you can always add an outboard 200 wpc-plus amp and use the 101 as a preamp.

You should be able to get the CAP-101 either new or used in the $1,000 to $1,500 price range.

Good Luck

·
Registered
512 Posts
You might want to check over at audiogon. There are a lot of very nice integrated amps there within your price range. As always, do your research before buying or, if it's an auction, bidding.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own 803's and is also looking for a good affordable amp to drive it.

Heard that Rotel matches well with B&W and is our price range. Another option would be Musical Fidelity integrated amps. Peeps... correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Look for a used Bryston 4B ST. You should be able to find one in your price range. I been using one with my N804s for a few years now, very happy with it. It's very neutral.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. Used seems to be the smartest way to go considering my constraints. As i am in Canada, Audiogon may by an issue with the border. Any ideas on sources up here?

I was considering a rotel combo as well but i heard that it took the 1090 at least to power the 804's.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
How is NAD priced up there? I've heard the C370 integrated amp which is $700 and it has plenty of power and is neutral to warm sounding. Good bass control too.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I suggest the Audio Refinement Complete Integrated made by YBA. New is $995, used $650 at Audiogon.

Dsmith

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith901
I suggest the Audio Refinement Complete Integrated made by YBA. New is $995, used $650 at Audiogon.

Dsmith
Ditto.Their multi-2(used),matched w/ a pre of your choice, is also excellent.Their amp's are very musical.So much so that I traded in my beloved Bryston 4b-st.

Shawn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shawn O, is Audio Refinement available in canada at retail? It would be interesting to give this a demo.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by badga
Shawn O, is Audio Refinement available in canada at retail? It would be interesting to give this a demo.
I bought mine new right here in Windsor from Glen at Audio Two.Here's his website or you can give him a call at 519-979-7101.

Shawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.