AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws are building a new home and since they are not very technical asked me to help set up an home audio system for them. I came across this forum and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what I should buy for them that is simple to use and fairly inexpensive to build? They will most likely only use one input (a laptop or ipod) for their audio source and want in ceiling speakers at the back porch, living room, kitchen/dining, bedroom and office. I have decided on the Monoprice speakers, suggested in another thread in this forum, as they won't notice the difference between high quality speakers versus bargain. I will be running all the speaker wiring to the office where I will set up the system in question. They would like to have a volume control in each room, however they also like the idea of having a remote to carry around. They do have an ipod touch, so I was considering setting up a multi-zone through itunes and airport express units, but if I am running all the wiring back to the office would it make sense to have an airport express for each room or is there another system that is reasonable to would do something similar? Thanks for any adivce...a novice.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Sonos? Nice looking, easy to operate controllers. In-wall/in-ceiling speakers are an option, with the amps located in the office.

HTD.com should be a consideration. I've heard they provide excellent support.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info on HTD.com, that may be just what I need for the setup and not too complicated for them to use. They could probably make due with 4 zones as the living room/kitchen are an open floor plan, so 2 speakers in there should suffice.

I had looked at the Sonos setup which is very nice, but it would be more than what they are wanting to spend. I also need to find a pair of outdoor speakers for the porch. HTD.com had what looked to be a decent pair for $99, any other recommendations on those?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
$99/pair sounds very affordable, for outdoor speakers

If HTD is offering you a lot of support (I've read they're extremely helpful, with phone tech support), I'd buy everything from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.