AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping on getting some suggestions and critiques of my upcoming HTPC build. It's going to be used mostly for web surfing, streaming, wathcing tv / movies in SD & HD and that kind of thing. I'll most likely be running Media Portal on it. If you guys could throw in your 2 cents about what i have now and what im planning on ordering, that would be great.

This is the hardware i have already :

MOBO - Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H

RAM - Kingston Valueram 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DIMM 240-pin DDR2 800MHz / PC2-6400 CL5 ( KVR800D2K2/4GR )

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB ATA 100 7200RPM 16MB Cache ( ST3320620A )

PSU - StarTech 480 Watt ATX 12v Silent Power Supply ( ATXPOW480HS )

Eventhough i already have a PSU and HDD i plan on getting new ones because honestly i dont really trust the PSU and the HDD is small and old.

This is a list of what im thinking of buying :

PSU - Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

or

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

CASE -

Nmedia HTPC-1000B Desktop Media Centre Case mATX Black 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader No PS

CPU -

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.0GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 65W Retail Box

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'm also looking for suggestions on tv tuner cards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I could help suggest a TV tuner card, if you told me more about your TV source. Direct TV? Comcast Digital Preferred? Over-the-Air? FioS?

The biggest question is, are you paying for a premium HD tier of service, and would you want to record those premium channels in HD? If so, your only real option is the Ceton InfiniTV 4. If premium cable content is not important to you, then you have other options.

Regarding your other stuff, you may want to consider getting a 45W processor. And will this be hooked up to a modern A/V receiver? Are the latest lossless HD audio codecs important to you? Do you have surround sound? If so, you'll need to add a ATI 5xxx or NVIDIA 4xx video card.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Andrew. I'm probably not going to be going really over the top on alot of things seeing as this is my first build and I'm kind of a new to this stuff. I'm probably going to be running lower end 5.1 A/V receiver and speakers. The lossless HD audio codecs most likely aren't going to be something that I'm too concerned about either. As for my TV source, I'm pretty sure it's just digital cable, i don't really know much about it to be honest
. I have MaxTV through a company called Sasktel. I just want to be able to watch my cable thru my HTPC and maybe record the odd tv show, nothing fancy.

Oh, and was your suggestion for a 45W CPU instead of the 65W AMD i had there because of the heat it would put out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you have a cable box currently? What happens if you plug the cable from the wall directly into your TV? Do you get all your channels? What sort of TV do you have? This is important, because if your cable company is encrypting any of your channels (meaning you need a cable box or cablecard capable device to decrypt), that will change what sort of tuner card you need. How many channels do you have? How many HD channels do you have? Are you subscribed to HBO, Showtime, or any special package like that?

As for CPU, lower wattage is less heat and energy used (and often, less noise, from fans having to cool things down, not that the 65W is bad or anything, it's an adequate processor for sure). Overall, 45W is more efficient. Depending how often you watch TV and have the PC on, it could save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually dont have any of my A/V equipment yet, i live with a roommate that has everything already. I'm going to be moving hopefully in the next 6 months or so and i'm hoping to have everything up and running soon. I'm hoping to pick up a tv and a A/V receiver on some sweet boxing day sales. I'll most likely buy a 46 inch 120HZ lcd or something similar. As for the tv tuner card, i think ill wait and do some research before i put that in as i wont really be needing right away anyways. I know my needs seem vague, im just eager to get an HTPC going so i have a base to get me started. Bare with me im new

1 - 6 of 6 Posts