AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to reserruct an old gaming machine to start a HTPC build. Here are the specs of the machine... please tell me what needs to be upgraded and what I need to add. Both my CPU and GPU fans are very loud, but the HTPC will be located remotely (in basement) from the theatre room, so size of the machine and sound levels emitted from the machine are not an issue.

COMPONENTS
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2GHz (Socket 939)
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
*MB does have SPDIF output.
Memory: Crucial 1GB DDR400
Graphics Card: NVIDIA BFG6800 Ultra SLI (Dual DVI output)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Media Software: None

Primary intentions for the HTPC are to backup my 200+ DVD collection to the HDD and to use the HTPC as a source to surf the internet on my televisoin (Sony 52" XBR5). I wouldn't mind getting rid of my Comcast HD/DVR cable box, but I don't want to loose the on-screen channel guide. I am currently using a PS3 to play BluRay movies, but for this HTPC system I would like to use an external BluRay drive like this one since the HTPC case itself will actually be in the basement below the theatre room. I'm also using an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver for sound and I don't want to loose any of the audio capability that I currently have (DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD).

To get started I just ordered a DVI to HDMI adapter and a Microsoft WED 8000 keyboard/mouse.

· Registered
52 Posts
Well you wont get - (DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD) with that set up, im no pro at this but those formats cant get passed right now, maybe with the new Auzentech comming out in Jan but thats a ? right now. You dont say anything about $

If you want 7.1 passed then you need that adapter but with an ATI card. Im not sure the 6800 can offload decoding for blu-ray, if you go that route, the 3500 will not have the power if it doesnt.

Hard drive, you need more space, way more space. Once you go down this road there's no turning back, you'll be backing up everything on there and wanting to do it with blu-rays also
I have 3 750gb drives with a raptor 150gb to store my games on. Im looking at building a server with 1TB drives to dump onto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.