AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum. Been reading a lot lately on HT. I used to be into car audio but got out of it and have been wanting a home theatre of my own for a while. I'm finally in a house rather than apartment and now is the time. I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver plus BIC America DV84 towers for the front, BIC America DV-62CLRS center and Polk TSi-100 surrounds.
For now that's my setup but it's in my room until my roommate moves out and my fianc? moves in, in June. Can't really use it much until he moves out unless he's not home since adjoining walls on the bedrooms.
Anyway it will soon be in the living room with a Sony 47" flat screen and I need to know what to do with my subs. I have had two 15" Ascendant Audio Arsenal subs that used to be in my car and I really want to utilize them in the ht setup so they don't go to waste. I built a box probably 6 years ago and I don't remember the specs for sure. I understand HT has different requirements such as tuning frequency so I'm open to changing that up if needed. I believe I built it to 6cf net tuned to 34hz. Dual ports on the ends and double baffled (my first attempt at building an enclosure). If I can give exact dimensions can someone give me an answer as to what I have since i don't rememeber for sure? Also, will this be an ok setup for movies? I'm open to building a new box but would prefer not to and if I can modify the existing ports to lower tuning that would be ideal.
My plans for amp are probably going to be a Behringer Europower or iNuke in the 3k watt range just for headroom. My neighbors probably won't appreciate me :)

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Just tune the subs to 15hz or 20hz and you'll be just fine.

Until then you can make-do with your existing boxes. I'd recommend a nu6000DSP if you can afford it, the nu3000DSP would be "ok".

You should really be asking this in the DIY section, as this is a DIY build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tune the subs to 15hz or 20hz and you'll be just fine.

Until then you can make-do with your existing boxes. I'd recommend a nu6000DSP if you can afford it, the nu3000DSP would be "ok".

You should really be asking this in the DIY section, as this is a DIY build.
Thank you for the advice. I finally got my setup in the living room now that my roommate is gone and it's just my fiance and myself. Even without the subs hooked up yet it's fantastic and she loves it too.
Question about the 3000 vs. 6000. Can the 6000DSP be bridged? If I'm reading correctly I can get the 3000DSP and bridge it to 3000w @ 4ohms. Can the 6000DSP be bridged to 6000W @ 4ohms? Or should I be doing 2 x 1500w @ 8ohms with it?
Again I have two DVC 4ohm subs in one single enclosure.
I just want to make sure I know how to wire the amp up if I'm going to spend an extra 100+ on it compared to the 3000DSP.

I realize this may be in the wrong topic at this point so my apologies. If I can get the amp selection figured out and the wiring for it than I should be all set. Thanks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wire voice coils in each sub in series and then both subs in parallel for a 4 ohm load. iNuke 6K isn't 2 ohm stable, 3K is. Also, you can't bridge NU6K; its essentially 2 bridged NU3K in one chassis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wire voice coils in each sub in series and then both subs in parallel for a 4 ohm load. iNuke 6K isn't 2 ohm stable, 3K is. Also, you can't bridge NU6K; its essentially 2 bridged NU3K in one chassis.
So basically you're suggesting the 3000DSP at 4 ohms bridged is what I take from that, correct? I'm familiar with the wiring combos I have available just making sure I get the correct amp.
I wasn't sure if the 6k was bridgeable so that kinda answers my question. I could technically afford the 6k at 2x 1500 @ 8ohms per sub but it sounds like I'd get the same power out of the 3k bridged for about $130 cheaper.
Not sure why you brought up 2ohms though

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
So basically you're suggesting the 3000DSP at 4 ohms bridged is what I take from that, correct? I'm familiar with the wiring combos I have available just making sure I get the correct amp.
I wasn't sure if the 6k was bridgeable so that kinda answers my question. I could technically afford the 6k at 2x 1500 @ 8ohms per sub but it sounds like I'd get the same power out of the 3k bridged for about $130 cheaper.
Not sure why you brought up 2ohms though
Since both of your subs are in the same enclosure it makes sense to me to wire them up to a single channel (but you wouldn't have to...). So, since you have 2, D4 subs you can wire to a final impedance of 1, 4, or 16 ohms for the whole enclosure... So, basically you are stuck with 4 ohm (not an issue). If you only ever plan on having just this set of subs get the Inuke 3000dsp and you'll be sending ~2000w RMS to the pair. If you want to add another sub/subs to your setup in the future, then get the 6000dsp, then you will have 2 outputs capable of 2000w RMS @ 4ohm.

It all depends on 1) how much wattage your subs can handle, 2) if you plan on adding subs in the future and 3) budget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts