AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here and have been out of the audio world for some time now.

Hello,

I've had an Onkyo Integra DTR-7 for many years, but I am no longer able to go without HDMI abilities and it is time to upgrade. I'd like to stay around $500 or so, but am willing to spend more as long as I feel the upgrade is well worth it.

Things to consider:

I don't like the sound characteristics of the Onkyo too much. (much prefer a warm & "natural" sound)

Must have HDMI (2 is ok)

I'd like the new unit to be AT LEAST equal in quality to the DTR7 in EVERY aspect.

I have a high(er) end preference

I have B&W speakers with a metal-dome tweeter, so harsh-sounding units are out.

I have a sub, but would still prefer solid bass output from my woofers in the B&Ws.

I will be using this 70% for music, 30% for television / movies.

-Other questions: I found an elite VSX-31 for a super good deal - would this be an upgrade? It felt light, looked cheap - but I've heard good things.

-Will there be any current models at the price point that I am looking in that will be comparable to or better than the dtr-7?

Let the suggestions roll!

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I havent found a place to listen yet - I may have to drive quite a bit - so before I do...

Are the marantz sr5006 and sr6006 worth the extra money? In your opionions, would that be an upgrade from the DTR7? Mainly speaking about sound quality here. Is the 6006 worth the extra over the 5006?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Go to the Harmon Ebay store and see if they have a H/K 7550HD. Big,beautiful,powerful and feature rich AVR. I'm biased though because I just put one into service and so far it is fantastic. Coming from an Onkyo 876. Also may want to consider the NAD T747. Don't let the power ratings fool you. Either of these are plenty powerful enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply.

That HK looks fantastic, but the cheapest I found was 1100 for a refurb, I am not sure if I should go that much out of budget for a refurb unit.

I picked up the pioneer elite vsx-31 for $299 - i figured at this price, why not give it a shot and I am impressed with it's feature set and sound quality. While I consider it an upgrade in sound from the Onkyo, it isn't a huge upgrade. Am I crazy for even thinking it is an upgrade from the Onkyo Integra DTR7?

For around 600 - 700 do you all think I could do a lot better than the vsx-31 or should I just keep it and save my money?

Thanks for opinions, suggestions and comments!

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Sorry for that. Are you in Canada? They also have that H/K at 6ave for less than that refurb price, but may still be over your budget. Have you looked into one of the Yamaha Aventage models? The A1000 or maybe the A2000 on sale are both excellent AVR's also. The A2000 uses a better version of an Eq program where as it will eq your sub(s). Either are very good though. There are also the Marantz 5005/6005 that deserve a serious look. Good luck and these are just a couple more to look into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.